• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vacuum Pump

Website
www.gulfcoastwoodturners.org
I want to begin working with a vacuum chuck. The Surplus Center used to have a pretty decent vacuum pump (Gast 0523, Surplus Center item no. 4-1540) at a very good price - $89.95. It is no longer available.

Does anyone have new Gast 0523 vacuum pump from The Surplus Center that they want to sell?

Does anyone have a source for new direct drive, oil-less, rotary vane vacuum pumps that are lower priced than the usual woodturning mail order houses? - John

Try Bernie McGivern:
http://www.hydraulicpartsnow.com/
He is a woodturner and member of our Club. He used to have some not brand new (but looks brand new) vacuum pumps to sell to our Club members at very good price.
He has organized several CA glue and band saw blade group buys for our Club members.

I don't know if your area has many pawn shops, but mine does. I was able to get a pump for $30.00. I t works just fine.

Aaron

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I got an outstanding one for about $25 on ebay -- a company that makes orthodontics was selling some of their used ones and replacing them with newer bigger ones. Shop the industrial section of ebay. It is a good way to buy stuff as long as you are confident in your ability to evaluate sellers and are able to discern between junk and good stuff. Deal only with sellers that have near perfect ratings.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
I want to begin working with a vacuum chuck. The Surplus Center used to have a pretty decent vacuum pump (Gast 0523, Surplus Center item no. 4-1540) at a very good price - $89.95. It is no longer available.

Does anyone have new Gast 0523 vacuum pump from The Surplus Center that they want to sell?

Does anyone have a source for new direct drive, oil-less, rotary vane vacuum pumps that are lower priced than the usual woodturning mail order houses? - John

I use the one you noted is no longer available. However, on the Surplus Center's website you can get a very, very similar Gast for $35 less.
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008100118301052&item=4-1669&catname=air

If I were in the market again, I'd go with this one.

I just finished building my vacuum pump cart with the vacuum pump Owen mentioned. I bought it at Surplus Center for $54.95 and it works great. The pump is supposed to be rated at 20 in Hg of vacuum but I am at 5000 feet elevation and can get about 23 in Hg with my setup.

Tom

More Is Better

Remember Folks, as you shop for a vacuum pump, CFM flow is more important for turners than inches of mercury.

When you vacuum chuck a piece, you're using atmospheric pressure to hold your piece, but that piece is wood, and will, to greater or lesser degrees, be porous and will leak air into the system. You need a pump with enough flow to both maintain the partial vacuum and make up for the leaks. Therefore, a vacuum pump that may be great for a veneering system at 2 cfm pulling 28" Hg. will be quite unsuitable for turning wood, but a pump moving 6 CFM while only reaching 15" Hg. may be just fine.

To further illustrate, remember that the larger the diameter of the chuck, the less "vacuum" you need to hold the piece. An 8" chuck has the ability to develop more than 3,000 lbs. of pressure on your workpiece at full (30") vacuum at sea level. Thus you won't need more than 10" Hg. from your system to hold that piece in the chuck with 1,000 lbs. of pressure. However, since that 8" chuck depends upon a good seal around the 25" circumference in contact with the wood that can slightly bend and wiggle during cuts, the more flow your pump will tolerate, the stronger and safer a fixing you will have. That calls for more CFM. Indeed, the original "vacuum chuck" lathe rigs used shop vacs pulling 30-40 CFM but only developing 5-6" hg.

As mentioned, there are 4 CFM vacuum pumps available at reasonable prices. I would submit that you go no lower than 4 CFM, with 5, 6 and above being preferable for a turner's application. I use a pair of 2.5 cfm AC compressors in my rig. They are reasonably tolerant of leaks, but I watch my vacuum gauge for fluctuations.

Some day I'll get a "real" vacuum pump in the 6 cfm./ 25" Hg. class.

Back