• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Where's the AAW logo???

I just came in from the mailbox with my Summer edition of American Woodturner which arrived in pristine condition by the way.

I was admiring the beautiful piece on the cover by Giles Gilson when I noticed something wrong. Where is the AAW logo? You know the little round drawing of a wood curl being peeled off by a gouge; the very essence of our hobby.

At first I thought I had lost my mind and went and checked the Spring edition and lo and behold it was missing on the cover there also. Have I completely lost my mind I asked myself. I pulled out the Winter 2008 edition and there it was. And it was on the cover of all the other issues in my collection.

So for some unknown reason the last two issues of the magazine representing woodturning which is a craft which involves peeling curly wood chips off spinning pieces of wood with a steel chisel no longer is using the logo that looks just like that to represent the activity.

What the heck? Why in the world? Can somebody explain? Has the logo fallen out of favor? Did I miss something? Do I have to throw out my AAW turning smock, pin and T-shirt because they bear the AAW logo?

How odd.....

Can somebody explain? Has the logo fallen out of favor? Did I miss something? Do I have to throw out my AAW turning smock, pin and T-shirt because they bear the AAW logo? How odd.....

Yes indeed how odd. I read on another forum that someone complained that the logo had a phallic aspect to it, what with the gouge and all.

Can you imagine that. I suppose a society dedicated to the Eiffel tower couldn't have the tower in it's logo. I suppose the New York skyline couldn't be part of a logo either, you all know why.

Man-up guys, this is a woodturning forum and association. Put the logo back.

Website
www.velvitoil.com
Mike,

I didn't notice the absence until I read on another forum that is was removed because it was viewed as "phallic". First of all I really hope that is not true as it would be the most aisnine action I have heard about in many years.

To view the turning tool and wood curl as phallic would have to be the interpretation of a very sick mind. Freud would have loved it (the sick mind).

Last edited:
Freud would have loved it.

As Freud said "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." Or in this case sometimes a gouge is just a gouge.

I guess pix's and videos of woodturning are going to be banned now as being politically incorrect. Gee that would be smart on a woodturning forum.

Yes indeed how odd. I read on another forum that someone complained that the logo had a phallic aspect to it, what with the gouge and all.

Can you imagine that. I suppose a society dedicated to the Eiffel tower couldn't have the tower in it's logo. I suppose the New York skyline couldn't be part of a logo either, you all know why.

Man-up guys, this is a woodturning forum and association. Put the logo back.

Surely you jest! I have not heard of anything so foolish in my entire life. I am speechless. How naive I am to think it is a representation of a woodturning gouge and curling wood chip.

I don't have words to express my contempt for people who think that way. Everything done on a lathe has some round, hollow, indented, curvaceous form. Good grief, get a life!

I am beginning to wonder......:(

IMHO, whoever approved the removal of the AAW Logo from the AAW Journal, needs to find something else to do with their lack of common sense. This is not the United States Department of Dumbing Down the populace!

IMHO, whoever approved the removal of the AAW Logo from the AAW Journal, needs to find something else to do with their lack of common sense. This is not the United States Department of Dumbing Down the populace!

Perhaps it was someone who, by virtue of gender and mother tongue felt more qualified to make a proper decision than one of you guys.;)

I too dislike all the ridiculous things society keeps pushing upon others in the name of political correctness, but why not just drop a line to the Editor?

She only has 4 posts here in the forums, but there's other ways to reach her. Even if the decision wasn't hers, it just seems to me the Editor is the one to explain it to the readership and serve as the focal point for feedback.

Last edited:
Website
www.penstreetwoodworks.com
Sounds like it was either taken out in error or was taken out without fanfare hoping it would not be noticed... either way it is the logo and for what ever reason it is missing I would expect a sound and logical reason to be posted by a Board member to enlighten us all:cool:

I need to go and make some shavings....:D

AAW Logo

Betty Scarpino, the editor of American Woodturner has been made aware of this thread.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'm Glad Betty knows about this thread. Why did everyone waste their time speculating on hear say from a thread on another forum. I think we all know how accurate or inaccurate these threads can be.

Logo

The removal is absurd after so many years. Think of the Washington Redskins and the litigation to get them to change their name. If your going to the symposium maybe that's the place to make our voices heard!!
Peter

I'm Glad Betty knows about this thread. Why did everyone waste their time speculating on hear say from a thread on another forum. I think we all know how accurate or inaccurate these threads can be.

John, I don't know anything about any thread on another forum. Nor do I know how accurate or inaccurate those threads are.

However I do know that the logo has been removed from the AAW Journal. I saw that for myself on my copies of the magazine. I can hardly wait to hear why....

The reason that has been posited by others is so patently absurd that it is probably true.

Strange most can get their phallic fix from the back cover . Turned by a great turner . AAW has missed their chance to expand by splitting or expanding to include more but never all .

Website
www.carolevalentine.com
As I think about it, I simply cannot believe that the thing about the logo being "phallic" is true. The various format logos are still available for download from the site. That would be beyond, FAR beyond the point of the ridiculous. There has to be another reason. Unless it's a darned good one, we should demand, through emails and phone calls, that it be reinstated! Let's wait and see what Betty has to say.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Mike I don't know why the logo was removed. Could have been all sorts of reasons. I just think it's rediculous for all this speculation and everyone's getting irate, for what. I have many more problems in this world to worry about other than a logo change for a magazine. I'm going to read the magazine and enjoy it and not worry about the logo until someone of some authority actually answers the question. I'm not picking on you, so please don't take it personally. I just read all the argument on woodcentral and now hear it here and all I can think of is everyone's getting upset over a rumor and even worse, by discussing it we are giving credence to this rumor and making it worse. Let's just back off and wait a clear head to explain what happened and then we can discuss it without being a rumor mill.

I'm puzzled by a couple of things........

The AAW logo was never displayed on the cover of any issue of American Woodturner that I've seen. It's always on the inside at the top of the masthead. It's right there on page 2 of the current issue. If the logo had really been judged as too prickly for public display, do you think it would still be in the magazine? Could it be that someone is having quite a chuckle over the number of gullible people that have embraced their now rampant rumor of xenophallicobia?

The Title Art for the Journal had previously always included elements of the logo as far back as I've seen (~1994). That's back when the font used made the title look more like Amenican Woodtinner. The elements included were the circle, gouge and curl. That's not the logo though.

In the Fall 2003 issue of the Journal, Carl Voss (the brand new editor) changed the cover title art. He started using a new (much easier to read) font and started using other colors than black. I don't recall much discussion about it.

In the Winter 2005 issue the trademark registration symbol was dropped from the Journal Title. Did anyone even notice? I don't recall a lot of heated debate around the intellectual property issues that may have been involved.

Now the first issue put together by our new editor Betty Scarpino has new Title Art that does not include any elements of the logo. As far as I can tell, most people didn't notice on the Spring Issue. I didn't. I wouldn't have noticed on this issue if it wasn't for the hot wind that started blowing through the forum.

Does it really matter? The volume of emotionally charged posts (here and elsewhere) might lead one to think it does. But a closer reading of everyting posted seems to indicate that something else is going on.

There seems to be a high degree of discontent in the ranks that has nothing to do with the title art of the Journal.

Ed

Website
www.velvitoil.com
An Apology

I would like to apologize for my response to Mike Stafford’s post yesterday. I had read a definite statement not attributed to any speculation posted by Ed Moore on Wood Central:
… “The arrogant removal of the AAW logo from the American Woodturner because it is phallic offends me, but I plan to stick with the AAW and hope to see it survive in spite of poor management by the current Board of Directors.â€

I made a terrible assumption that he knew what he was talking about. Actually I never thought it had been removed by Betty but by an action of the Board.

What of course was missing was the gouge and wood curl that has, as far as I am aware, been on the front cover within the title of the Journal as long as I have been a member. I have been told by a mutual friend that the gouge and curl was removed in an effort to crisp up the appearance of the cover. As far as I am concerned that is a legitimate decision.

Contrary to what Ed McDonnell wrote there was no hidden agenda in my response. In fact you will find that I have never responded in any way except positively about the Journal here or on Wood Central. Also as I recently posted, I have always found something of interest in each issue.

I have put this apology within the responses of the original thread as it seems better than having it stand alone.

It does seem strange that over 24 hours have passed and yet know one from the board has cared enough to respond?

I don't think anyone owes anyone an apology on this thread.

There now appear to be conflicting assertions about this issue. The way to clear that up is for AAW to officially comment on this to resolve all questions.

Website
www.seantroy.com
I don't think anyone owes anyone an apology on this thread.

There now appear to be conflicting assertions about this issue. The way to clear that up is for AAW to officially comment on this to resolve all questions.

I agree completly but it sure seems to be non caring and a big brush off by no response so far. I think they owe the membership an explanation and yet have not even cared to do so. It's not like they haven't had plenty of time. What does that tell you?

Angelo

President Emeritus
Website
www.majicbrand.com
Logo

Well, I know that from my time on the Board there was at least one discussion to update the Logo. In my memory at the time that it was discussed the Board decided to leave it as is.

We were told that the logo was designed by a member, winning a design competition. (Does anyone know who made the original design?). I agree that the style of the logo is dated and the look of the "American Woodturner" is now very slick, when compared to older issues. Then the AAW was operated as big club. Now it is a very big non profit. It is operated differently, so I can understand the decision to leave it to the masthead.

I thought UPS was crazy to redesign their old logo to the one they use today. It just goes to show you how small the change is in the overall scheme of things.

Now that we are coming up on 25 years maybe now is the time to have another design competition to freshen up the logo and unveil it in Saint Paul.

Angelo

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Boy oh Boy, this sure has become a prickly issue. Whomever started this hubbub, has really pulled a boner. However, I'm afraid, like most things of this nature, folks are going off half-cocked.

I've read enough and will patiently wait to hear from our elected officers whether there is truth to any of this - I hope others will do the same.

My advice to all - Go enjoy your Sunday afternoon with a cold brew in one hand and a hot wiener in the other.

Owen

Ya know folks, if a missing logo is the biggest problem in your lives, then perhaps you don't know how fortunate you are. Sheesh.

I also am greatly entertained by the people here who jump to conclusions (over petty stuff, no less) with both feet so far into their mouths that they get stretch marks on their cheeks.

Last edited:

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Boy oh Boy, this sure has become a prickly issue. Whomever started this hubbub, has really pulled a boner. However, I'm afraid, like most things of this nature, folks are going off half-cocked.

I've read enough and will patiently wait to hear from our elected officers whether there is truth to any of this - I hope others will do the same.

My advice to all - Go enjoy your Sunday afternoon with a cold brew in one hand and a hot wiener in the other.

Owen

Owen, I don't know if you are to be commended or taken out and shot for all the puns in that post! :p

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Here is the Bob Rosand thread on Woodcentral (a fine board I might add)

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/turning3.pl?read=208617

The odd thing is, even with my twisted outlook on life, I don't see it. So if one person complains, we cave? Why change the logo at all? I like the design and like the potential nostalgia of it.

Website
www.seantroy.com
Ya know folks, if a missing logo is the biggest problem in your lives, then perhaps you don't know how fortunate you are. Sheesh.

I also am greatly entertained by the people here who jump to conclusions (over petty stuff, no less) with both feet so far into their mouths that they get stretch marks on their cheeks.

It's not just the missing logo, the logo is just one of a string of things that members have been finding not to there liking and the AAW does not have the respect the members deserve to answer ligitimate questions. I don't think you've been around long enough to make the judgment call you've made.

AAW Logo

Members,
I have communicated this morning with Betty Scarpino, who was out of town all weekend, as well as was Jean LeGwin, chair of the publications committee, and rest assured that they are aware of the circumstances that have been going on here and on Woodcentral this weekend. I believe there will be some sort of 'official' response, and I request your patience on this topic for the time being. Thanks.

Jean LeGwin

AAW Board Member
All,

I returned last evening from a weekend away to find the posts on the redesign of the journals front cover. I am appalled at the nature of the discussion. I don’t know who started the rumor that suggested the graphic was removed for reasons other than a design change. I will state categorically that the graphic (it is NOT the logo) was removed in an attempt to give a fresh look to the cover. Period. The position of the gouge graphic was limiting in developing a new and more up-to-date look for the cover. Betty was simply putting her stamp on the journal. Redesign of the look and feel, both interior and covers, is typically done when a new editor takes charge. She discussed her concerns about the dated look of the graphic and her wish to give the cover a more streamlined and contemporary look with me and I feel the result has achieved those ends. The fact that there was no comment about its removal after the first issue was mailed indicated that it was not an earth-shattering change and was not even noticed by most readers.

The logo is displayed on the contents page in a very prominent position, and proudly so. I’m concerned that whoever started the rumor that the graphics’ removal from the cover is based on some more prurient reason may be interested in causing a riff in the organization, discredit Betty’s editorship, or perhaps just see how gullible some people can be. Whatever the motive, I find it disheartening that so many have chosen to believe the rumor and spread it without attempting to ask the editor. I hope this nonsense can be put to rest for once and for all.

Respectfully,
Jean LeGwin
Publication Chair

Last edited:
Website
www.abhats.com
I personally don't care if the logo is on the front cover or not, and the layout is better anyway. I also don't care about Internet rumors about things akin to political fear mongering. What I do strongly object to about the Journal, is it's having pottery, fragments from burnt out buildings, and whatever someone thinks is art on the front cover. The urn on this one is certainly beautiful, but shows no evidence at all of being turned or of being made from wood. We're supposed to be an organization of what?????

All,..............................................................................

.....................I hope this nonsense can be put to rest for once and for all.

Respectfully,
Jean LeGwin
Publication Chair

Ms. LeGwin,

There is doubt that this "nonsense" can be put to rest until the person or persons that started the rumor can be identified.

For my part the graphics change is unimportant. I do wonder though if because someone strongly questioned the change, an editorial staff member threw out the "phallic and pornographic" comment in an attempt to justify the change. This rumor had to start close to the Journal and its staff. Those exact words used to describe the cover graphic would never have come to mind of any sane individual, except in desperation or frustration.

I think that it is rather strange that the originators of the rumor do not have the testicular fortitude to either back up their outrageous claims with facts or retract their accusations.

I'm a little surprised at how much energy is being expended by a few individuals in an attempt to keep this whole sad situation alive.

Ed

Before I go back out to roil up some real dirt with the tractor, I thought those who remember might appreciate the stanza below from Tom Leherer's "Smut."

All books can be indecent books
Though recent books are bolder,
For filth (I'm glad to say) is in
the mind of the beholder.
When correctly viewed,
Everything is lewd.
(I could tell you things about Peter Pan,
And the Wizard of Oz, there's a dirty old man!)

http://www.casualhacker.net/tom.lehrer/the_year.html#smut

Then there's this, which I had not seen before.

Attachments

• AWSA logo small.jpg
    AWSA logo small.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 25
Website
www.carolevalentine.com
The urn on this one is certainly beautiful, but shows no evidence at all of being turned or of being made from wood.

So what do you require as "evidence" that the piece was turned and made from wood? Tool marks? Tear out? Bare wood without paint or embellishment? I was struck by the form and beauty of this piece. If you read the description (basswood, pakkawood, brass, paint, 30"x15") you know it is turned from wood, but I am also quite sure that if you had the good fortune to hold it in your hands, you would need no written description as evidence that it was turned from wood.

Back