• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning Beyond Barriers inquiry

I received this email and would like to post on forum to get suggestions and support to pass on: Linda Ferber

I had a stroke 39 years ago when I was 29 years old. A local contractors son gave me a old Delta 36 360 that he inherited from his dad. The motor and all drive parts were gone. I have a motor bolted up side down with a 3 gang V belt pulley like the one in the head stock. The motor belt goes to a jack shaft that runs under the lathe bed it has a 3 step belt pulley on each end one goes to the motor and the other goes to the head stock of the lathe. I have no idea how fast it turns.
Could I learn to chase threads in such a set up? Where would be the cheapest place to buy a thread chasing set , would I have a chance of chasing threads with one hand.?

Thank you

L. D .Brandon Jr. lbrandon1947@gmail.com

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I received this email and would like to post on forum to get suggestions and support to pass on: Linda Ferber I had a stroke 39 years ago when I was 29 years old. A local contractors son gave me a old Delta 36 360 that he inherited from his dad. The motor and all drive parts were gone. I have a motor bolted up side down with a 3 gang V belt pulley like the one in the head stock. The motor belt goes to a jack shaft that runs under the lathe bed it has a 3 step belt pulley on each end one goes to the motor and the other goes to the head stock of the lathe. I have no idea how fast it turns. Could I learn to chase threads in such a set up? Where would be the cheapest place to buy a thread chasing set , would I have a chance of chasing threads with one hand.? Thank you L. D .Brandon Jr. lbrandon1947@gmail.com

Linda,

the advice I got from Alan Batty was slow the lathe down until you can see the threads on the spindle. This seems to be around 300 RPM.
If mr Brandon's slowest speed allows him to see the threads his lathe goes slow enough.
Pulley arrangements usually have slowest speed in the 500 rpm range. 500 rpm would be to fast for most people to learn.

Once I learned at something close to 300 RPM, I could then chase threads at the lowest speed on the mini lathes which is 500.
It is too fast but I could use that speed. I don't think I could learn at that speed.

People can chase threads one handed.
In fact any one who is using the Arm rest is turning chasing the female threads one handed.
I use the arm rest because Alan used it. Lots of people just use the tool rest.

Al

Last edited:
Back