• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Yorkshire Grit and Poly

I am making a walnut pepper mill and used yorkshire grit after going through the sanding grits up to 400. Instead of following up with Hampshire Sheen I put two coats of satin poly and three coats of gloss poly. The finish is less than spectacular with a very flat appearance. Usually when applied over a 400 grit surface directly it has a much higher shine to the finish.

I wonder if anyone has tried putting either lacquer or poly over Yorkshire Grit and if so were you pleased with the results?

Dave,
I regularly use both Yorkshire Grit and now Ack’s sanding paste (because it costs less than 1/2 of Yorkshire Grit). Both work very well. First never apply either product directly on wood. The directions say you should apply the product after sanding sealer or final finish. I have used both products after lacquer, poly, shine juice, and tung oil finish. I can easily get a high gloss finish on all of them. I have also used it after sanding sealer, before applying the finish. Again they both worked great. That said if you are using poly as a final finish after using either product on sanding sealer, you should wipe your piece down with mineral spirits before applying the poly. Both grits contain wax. Polyurethane does not like wax and you can get fisheye. I hope this helps.
Jon

Dave, part of the problem was using the satin poly underneath the gloss.

Satin (and any other than gloss), poly contains flattening agents that dull the sheen. You can't get a high gloss after applying a satin poly.

The correct way to apply multiple layers of poly is to apply gloss poly first until you have built the layers you want, and then apply one coat of the poly with the desired sheen.

Applying multiple layer of satin poly will always give a muddy look and will hide grain definition.

I can't speak to applying poly after sanding waxes, other than I wouldn't bother with them if poly is your chosen finish.

Dave,
I regularly use both Yorkshire Grit and now Ack’s sanding paste (because it costs less than 1/2 of Yorkshire Grit). Both work very well. First never apply either product directly on wood. The directions say you should apply the product after sanding sealer or final finish. I have used both products after lacquer, poly, shine juice, and tung oil finish. I can easily get a high gloss finish on all of them. I have also used it after sanding sealer, before applying the finish. Again they both worked great. That said if you are using poly as a final finish after using either product on sanding sealer, you should wipe your piece down with mineral spirits before applying the poly. Both grits contain wax. Polyurethane does not like wax and you can get fisheye. I hope this helps.
Jon

Jon, I wonder if you've used EEE Ultra Shine and if so how did it compare to the other two?

That's interesting thanks. No mention of sanding sealer. They did say to add a wax finish, nothing about poly or lacquer. Have you tried those?
I only use it with an oil finish like walnut oil so I'm not sure how it would work with a ploy. I worry that since it has oil and wax in it that it wouldn't mix well with a poly.

Dave,
I have never used EEE Ultra Shine, but some of our club members do. They like it for pens and small projects. I have put poly over Yorkshire grit and it works well. As I mentioned in my earlier post, make sure you wipe down your project with mineral spirits before applying the poly. By the way, lacquer goes on top of Yorkshire Grit just fine, No problems at all.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
That's interesting thanks. No mention of sanding sealer. They did say to add a wax finish, nothing about poly or lacquer. Have you tried those?
I don't use any of the grit suspended products on a wood that I am going to be putting a finish o. They often use some type of wax or other chemical that can lead to finish adhesion problems.
Use a couple coats of the gloss as a sanding sealer. Just let it soak in goo, then wipe off any excess and let it dry. If it is a non-water based, cut it 50% with whatever it recommends for a thinner. It will soak in and dry faster. Then use your normal non-cut version to finish and you can use the grit products at that point. But only after you have enough coats incase you burn through them, putting more finish on may be a problem

I don't use any of the grit suspended products on a wood that I am going to be putting a finish o. They often use some type of wax or other chemical that can lead to finish adhesion problems.
Use a couple coats of the gloss as a sanding sealer. Just let it soak in goo, then wipe off any excess and let it dry. If it is a non-water based, cut it 50% with whatever it recommends for a thinner. It will soak in and dry faster. Then use your normal non-cut version to finish and you can use the grit products at that point. But only after you have enough coats incase you burn through them, putting more finish on may be a problem

If I understand you'd basically be using the Yorkshire Grit and Hampshire Sheen like the Beall buffing processes?

Back