• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Youtube subscribe?

Not a computer guru but have a question. I know that many here have a YT video or two or three or four on wood turning. If I click on SUBSCRIBE, what does it commit me to do? I understand if I subscribe, I will be updated on the newest videos. Please clarify. Thanks.

Your just subscribing to their particular YouTube channel.
Hit subscribe and the alert bell next to it so you’ll be notified of new content from their channel

Thanks. How do I get the notification? Email or other? As I mentioned, several on the forum have videos which, IMHO, would be advantageous to view for the information and techniques.

When you subscribe to a channel it shows up on the left hand side of your screen when you are in the search page of YouTube, when a new video is posted they indicate a mark next to each of your subscribed channels to let you know new content has been added. Subscribing to a channel helps the persons channel grow and helps monetize the channel and attracts advertising revenue to a growing channel. Liking the video also helps the persons channel grow if you see value in the content of that video. A lot of time and resources is put into a typical video posted on YouTube, subscribing and liking is common curtesy and helps to monetize some of the channels, many content providers barely break even from the income, many of the content providers also rely on donations from subscribers and advertising dollars from sponsors that value the content and effort put into the videos.

I don't know. I don't even subscribe to my own channel... If you watch 2 or more of anything, they start putting that type of videos up in your selection. Lots of good ones out there. One of my favorite turners is Mike Waldt from Whales. Lots of good simple projects, and a nice guy.

robo hippy

The really important question is, if I subscribe how do I un-subscribe?

Just click the "Subscribed" button on the right side of the page and it remove your subscription.

I don't know. I don't even subscribe to my own channel... If you watch 2 or more of anything, they start putting that type of videos up in your selection. Lots of good ones out there. One of my favorite turners is Mike Waldt from Whales. Lots of good simple projects, and a nice guy. robo hippy
Mike Waldt is good and Mike Peace has a bunch on his channel. My wife asked today of any of the YTers make mistakes as they can edit it out. Mike has 6 blooper and blunder videos. I'm also partial to John Lucas. Have been to his shop and he has put on demos for our chapter.

I sometimes feel like I’m watching infomercials on a few YouTube channels. They do “unboxings” that seem to be more rave reviews, and I wonder if I’m being duped into being attracted to some product that might have more downside. I (think I) can usually tell the difference when someone shares warts as well appeal of a device. I’m also curious if monetization is partly a function of how long a video is. I sometimes see videos that are 30, 40, 50 or more minutes long, and I wonder if they really needed to be as long as that to get the idea across. Luckily YouTube has the feature where you can adjust the playback speed, so you can speed up through the tedious parts.
That being said, there are two you tubers whose postings I look forward to with eager anticipation, but that is almost more as entertainment as education. One (non-turning) is Leo Sampson rebuilding an historic sailboat: https://youtube.com/c/SampsonBoatCo
If you’ve not already seen it, give it a shot. He’s amazing!

I was watching a YT video yesterday and kept getting interrupted with commercial for things I would never buy.

Monetization is actually usually negatively affected by longer videos. Metrics generally show the short videos get far more views generating more revenue. Content creators have zero influence in what ads are shown in the videos, unless they are the ones doing a paid promotion

Not sure what I'm going to do yet. A YT search found a good video on sharpening a bowl gouge.
I did a search of the AAW site and found a detailed article on sharpening. Just need to take time to plow through 74 pages.

I had my daughter activate 'add blocker' on my computer. That eliminated all the adds that pop up, including on You Tube. They do have a little icon that pops up on videos now that says 'skip adds'. With facebook, I found out if I hit the 3 dots on the side of the adds, up comes a board and I hit 'Hide add' They want a reason, and I click the 'irrelevant' icon, though there are a couple of others. After a week or so of this, no adds pop up on my facebook page. They did have a few pop up during election time, but used the same protocol and that stopped them.

robo hippy

I got sick of being hammered with ads on Youtube, so I took them up on their 90-day free trial for Youtube Premium. Nice without the ads, but plan to cancel on day 89!

Website
www.mikepeacewoodturning.com
Watch time is king to YouTube. YT rewards creators whose videos have high watch time as it is all about ad revenue. The more views and watch time means YT will promote your videos to more viewers. Longer videos support more ads and YT is a business that has to make a profit. Videos need to be as long as they need to be. Adding fluff to make a video longer will also cause viewers to drop off. Conventional wisdom is that folks are not interested in longer videos. That is not necessarily true. Folks want to watch what they want to watch. Mine tend to be longer than lots of other WT YT creators because I emphasize details. Boring to some and attractive to others. It is all about creating a community of viewers with a common interest. My most loyal viewers tend to be subscribers. I enjoy feedback from viewers and try to respond to every comment or question. I am always amazed to see YT videos where there is no interaction with the viewers making comments or asking questions.

Subs do not mean much to YT and except for hitting a minimum number to monetize videos. YT is quite sophisticated in knowing what you want to watch and feeding you more of that. An Increasing number of subs is another indicator to me about how I am doing. I have been makeing WT videos now for 7 years and have created more than 500 videos. I spend a fair amount of time studying the analytical data YT provides because it makes me a better creator and helps me make improvements to increase watch time. More watch time means I am having a bigger impact on my viewers. In a small niche like woodturning, your audience is limited and you will never make much money on ad revenue. I don't come close to making minimum wage on the time spent on YT creation. And that is ok because I enjoy the process of video creation like I enjoy woodturning.And I enjoy teaching. A little ad revenue is icing on the cake. How many woodturners make minimum wage on woodturning? It is not relevant because it is not a job except for a very few.

Website
www.riccsdesigns.com
I have subscribed to many youtube channels and also hit the "bell" icon to be notified of new videos from each of the channels.

I have NEVER received any notification from youtube of any new videos for those channels. the bell means nothing.

Interesting comments Mike. I think I kind of figured that out. I can watch some longer videos if they are kept interesting. However, if they use too much fluff, and not enough stuff, I turn them off, and there are a lot of turning videos like that. Mine tend to be longer than the 5 to 20 minute ones that seem to draw lots of viewers. I have been watching more cooking videos than anything at present. I did watch a lot of swimming videos, but they aren't doing as many right now because a lot of pools are closed.

robo hippy

I have subscribed to many youtube channels and also hit the "bell" icon to be notified of new videos from each of the channels.

I have NEVER received any notification from youtube of any new videos for those channels. the bell means nothing.
Ric you need to click on the personalized icon after clicking the bell to get notifications on youtube

Website
www.mikepeacewoodturning.com

YT does not send out reminders for every new video on channels you subscribed to. They have figured out that folks would get bombarded with notifications and shut them all off. They have an Algorithim that helps them to determine who and when to sedn a notification.

Website
www.riccsdesigns.com
YT does not send out reminders for every new video on channels you subscribed to. They have figured out that folks would get bombarded with notifications and shut them all off. They have an Algorithim that helps them to determine who and when to sedn a notification.

I could understand if they did that with some kind of algorithim. But, I subscribe to over 150 channels (woodworking, woodturning, antique cars, musicians, etc). And have not received an email notification on any channel/video in at least 9 months. (I searched my trash email folder as that's as far back as I save them before permanent deletion of trashed emails.)

Many users subscribe to a channel and forget to activate the bell that sends you an email or text message when new content is available. You also need to go in and re-activate the bell again as YouTube has messed with their settings numerous times over the last couple of years and de-activated the notification feature on many channels and accounts.

More than anything else I can think of for the past several decades...YouTube has advanced human knowledge. I am continuously amazed to know that there is a place to go to and get "instant" advice on everything from how to fry an egg to how to change the brakes on an airliner. Truly amazing.

More than anything else I can think of for the past several decades...YouTube has advanced human knowledge. I am continuously amazed to know that there is a place to go to and get "instant" advice on everything from how to fry an egg to how to change the brakes on an airliner. Truly amazing.
I find a lot on YT regarding woodturning plus some other things. Found a YT video to change the cabin filter in my Escape. In Spanish but I watched it a few times to get the sequence for disassembling the console.
DB, thanks. I need to change the brakes on my L-1011. Just need at reaaal big jack.;)

Back