• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
1831 African Gaboon Ebony.
odie

1831 African Gaboon Ebony.

Not sure of correct spelling.....Gaboon or Gabon. I see the wood database lists it as Gaboon only, but I continually see it spelled both ways. So, which spelling is the correct version?

Original block was 22% MC. After roughing and anchorsealing, it took a total of 12 months to stabilize. 5 1/2" x 1 7/8", 7.6oz, sanded to 600gt, Danish Oil Natural, Beall 3-step buffed.

-----odie-----
Beautiful. The design that you chose works perfectly with the jet black wood.

For no particularly good reason (maybe one less letter to type), I usually spell it Gabon, but it seems that both spellings are commonly used. The Wood Database website uses the spelling "Gaboon" while Savage Woods in Austin, Texas uses the spelling "Gabon". Here is a quote from Savage Woods:

Gabon Ebony, also known as “Gaboon” or “BlackEbony sets the undisputed standard for true black wood around the globe and has done so throughout history. Highly prized throughout many civilizations as the purest of all black wood, it has been found in the most coveted places within Egyptian tombs. Other documented fondness by royalty shows it to have been the choice material for scepters and drinking cups by the ancient kings of India.
Today’s artisan craftsmen continue to hold Gabon Ebony in the highest esteem due to the associated lore, as well as the workable traits of the material itself. Due to the extremely tight grain density, it is capable of polishing to a glass-like finish and can provide a genuine black color with almost no visible grain whatsoever. Most often is straight-grained but infrequently might have some interlocked grain.

I have a small collection of various types of ebony wood, mostly Macassar Ebony (chocolate color with light streaks and likes to splinter) which is sometimes incorrectly called "Madagascar" Ebony. I bought a piece of Gabon Ebony at Woodcraft about six or seven years ago. Even then, it was really expensive. I never did use it for the project that I had in mind. It's incredibly heavy and absolutely jet black.

In my family it is "Baboon"...but - another story for another time.:p..THAT is a powerful piece.
Thank you Tim.....appreciate it. odie
Nice work. I like the design. And, like all your work, one word comes to mind: flawless. You have had a few years to perfect your art.
Thank you Emiliano......I could say the same for your work! odie
Beautiful. The design that you chose works perfectly with the jet black wood.

For no particularly good reason (maybe one less letter to type), I usually spell it Gabon, but it seems that both spellings are commonly used. The Wood Database website uses the spelling "Gaboon" while Savage Woods in Austin, Texas uses the spelling "Gabon". Here is a quote from Savage Woods:

Gabon Ebony, also known as “Gaboon” or “BlackEbony sets the undisputed standard for true black wood around the globe and has done so throughout history. Highly prized throughout many civilizations as the purest of all black wood, it has been found in the most coveted places within Egyptian tombs. Other documented fondness by royalty shows it to have been the choice material for scepters and drinking cups by the ancient kings of India.
Today’s artisan craftsmen continue to hold Gabon Ebony in the highest esteem due to the associated lore, as well as the workable traits of the material itself. Due to the extremely tight grain density, it is capable of polishing to a glass-like finish and can provide a genuine black color with almost no visible grain whatsoever. Most often is straight-grained but infrequently might have some interlocked grain.

I have a small collection of various types of ebony wood, mostly Macassar Ebony (chocolate color with light streaks and likes to splinter) which is sometimes incorrectly called "Madagascar" Ebony. I bought a piece of Gabon Ebony at Woodcraft about six or seven years ago. Even then, it was really expensive. I never did use it for the project that I had in mind. It's incredibly heavy and absolutely jet black.
Thank you Bill......odie

And thanks for the response about spelling. I guess either spelling is OK, but I tend to think Gabon is likely the more correct spelling.....I could be wrong about that.

Speaking of black woods, I recently purchased some African Blackwood bowl blanks from an estate sale. This was from a fellow who made woodwind instruments. As I understand it, some musical instruments, such as a clarinet, traditionally used African Blackwood in their construction, but it's now becoming more common to use a synthetic black wood. The blanks I purchased are very dry, and probably were on his shelf for decades. Lucky me, because most of the African Blackwood available these days, are cut into small pieces for end sales......guess it's more profitable that way.....?

Anyway, thanks to you three.....your comments are appreciated, gentlemen.... :)

-----odie-----

Now that's a wood that can handle your fine details. But I'm concerned about the cost. It must have been a month of lunches for a Montana working man.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
odie
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Device