• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
1918 Cottonwood Burl.
odie

1918 Cottonwood Burl.

Finished 6-20-2021, Cottonwood burl, 9 1/4" x 3 1/8", block was KD, but did lose a small amount of weight after roughing and doing monthly weights for 4 months. I now rough and season most of my KD blanks, because if it is going to lose additional weight to MC, a roughed blank will warp less. Minimizing warping and sanding is essential to keeping the details as crisp and cleanly done as possible.....adding to the aesthetic appeal. Sanded to 600gt, Danish oil natural, and Beall buffed. There is one crack that was filled with epoxy and not noticeable. Has voids and bark inclusions....normal!
It's a miracle you could do this kind of detail in cottonwood, Odie. Well, done.
Thank you, Dean :)

Yes, it is a bit spongy and stringy in places, sort of takes on the characteristics of mid-level spalting. I do have some advantage with cottonwood, though, because I've done a number of them in recent years.....I've had some practice! ;)

-----odie-----

Note: There are some KD roughed bowls that lose no weight during a seasoning process. My general rule is if it loses no weight after 3-4 monthly weights, it's good to final turn. If it loses any weight at all, no matter how small, the monthly weights continue until stabilization.

In the information I included in the OP, I stated this:

I now rough and season most of my KD blanks, because if it is going to lose additional weight to MC, a roughed blank will warp less.

Instead of "MC", it should have read "stabilization". (MC stands for "moisture content")

-----odie-----

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
odie
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata