• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Ash and Mesquite Vessel with Threaded Lid
Al Chavez

Ash and Mesquite Vessel with Threaded Lid

Salvaged vessel. My first piece with pewas, epoxy, collar and threaded lid.
7 1/2” x 4 3/4” and with the lid it is 9 1/2” tall
Buffed with the Bealle process.
Rather than throw this piece away I experimented with pewas, epoxy, threading and fitting multiple pieces together. The lid has 16 t.p.i. and I used C.A. to reinforce the threads though I do not think it was needed. Here are some additional pics.

I used many techniques on this piece that I had not tried before and I made a few tools to add to my arsenal for this piece. I have shown the epoxied knot in the lid in three different orientations to the body and once I've decided which I like most I will adjust the lid by cutting part of the thread to align the knothole with the feature on the body.
I'm very happy with the way the endgrain mesquite accepted the cut threads.
Thanks for looking.
Al~

Last edited:

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Al Chavez
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating