• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Bird Feeder
Christine Smith

Bird Feeder

A week ago I’ve turned his bird feeder and added a home made seed-log (seeds held together with gelatin). A “bird camera” recorded 250-300 “hits” per day. Happy to call this an easy project out of scrap wood and a success!
What does the “after” look like?

Hi Rich, It’s holding up really well, almost time to restock with the next seed log.
I wish I knew how to add a photo to this thread…so sorry, will have to research that.
(Or I can email it) But the birds ate the bottom of the seed log first eventually causing the rest to slide down.

What is the size?
The bottom tray is about 6” wide, the birds really like standing on the turned bead for a better grip. The roof is only 5” wide but could be wider…The dowel is 1/2” wide and about 12” long. The bottom finial is purely decorative, I thought it adds to the overall look.
I also have the seed-log recipe I can post, if interested.

I would be interested in the seed log recipe. How cool! (And the bird feeder is quite a bit larger than I assumed).
Seed log recipe:

Ingredients:
1 box of unflavored gelatin (contains 4 envelopes)
-Mealworms, sunflower seeds, raw peanuts
-two of the 1 quart plastic paint buckets from Lowes/Walmart for mixing paint a (used to mold the feed mix)
-1/2” dowel 6” long to punch hole into seed log (reusable)
-parchment paper to line the container.

The recipe I’ve used:
-used 2 of the 1-quart-size plastic paint containers from Walmart/Lowes
-to measure amount of seeds: fill one container with black sunflower seeds.
- fill second container with mealworms, raw peanuts and any other food birds will love (raw and shelled sunflowers, rolled oatmeal, etc)
-now combine all nuts and seeds in a big bowl.
-separately mix 1/2 cup of cold water with all 4 envelopes of the gelatin powder, let sit 1-2 minutes
-boil 1/2 cup of water and add to gelatin mix
-pour gelatin mix into bird food and stir everything thoroughly
-fill the 2 quart containers with the mix, punch down with a wood mallet to compress everything really good!
-push a 1/2” dowel through the middle of the seeds to mold an opening for the final dowel-insert. (Hope that makes sense)
-place in fridge right away and over night.
-remove next day, the log will hold together and is ready to be placed on to your feeder!
-Enjoy watching the birds!

Alternatively you can search on youtube for “ home made seed-logs”. Tip: using less gelatin powder and the seed logs will fall apart!

Nicely done, Christine. This is a great project. I have made birdseed wreaths as gifts, but this one will add multi-use to the bird watching gift.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Christine Smith
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename