• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Blossoms
This is my latest piece. "Blossoms" made from Sycamore, pierced, pyrography, painted and finished with satin lacquer. 140mm x 75mm
Very nice piece Helen. How did you deal with the inevitable burn marks from the piercing vs light wood? I love how thin you turned the bowl!

Very nice piece Helen. How did you deal with the inevitable burn marks from the piercing vs light wood? I love how thin you turned the bowl!
Thank you Russ. I don’t get any burn marks from the piercing even on light sycamore like this.

Very good job. I dont have a piercing rig but when I used one I had serious burning. Any tips you can give on this because I'm looking at setting up a system.

Very good job. I dont have a piercing rig but when I used one I had serious burning. Any tips you can give on this because I'm looking at setting up a system.
I use a Foredom micromotor to pierce. I pierce at a speed which suits my movement of the hand piece. It took a lot of practice to get it right and of course quality sharp cutters I never have a problem with burning. Very little sanding refines any little burrs on the wood.

Thank you Russ. I don’t get any burn marks from the piercing even on light sycamore like this.
What???? I use the 400K rpm dental tools that can start forest fires, haha!! I suppose slow speed makes sense…..what’s a sharp burr??

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Helen Bailey
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Device