• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Box of oak
M

Box of oak

Box of oak - second picture: smoked oak, milled, white pigmented and oiled twice, h = 120 mm, d = 92 mm.
milled?

White pigmented? I have seen oat turned very very thin and it looks similar but u would have to attach to oak box.....not sure that's what going on
????

White pigmented? I have seen oat turned very very thin and it looks similar but u would have to attach to oak box.....not sure that's what going on
????

Charlie, I think that he is referring to coloring with a white pigment such as a pickling stain. Then sanding to expose the high spots, followed by fuming with industrial-strength ammonia to darken the bare wood areas. The wood that is coated with the white pigment stain would not be affected very much by the fuming process. The last step appears to be applying an oil finish.

There is an optical illusion that makes it look like the box is wrapped with twine. It was only after seeing the carving tool used that I was able to see what was actually done.

Charlie, I think that he is referring to coloring with a white pigment such as a pickling stain. Then sanding to expose the high spots, followed by fuming with industrial-strength ammonia to darken the bare wood areas. The wood that is coated with the white pigment stain would not be affected very much by the fuming process. The last step appears to be applying an oil finish.

There is an optical illusion that makes it look like the box is wrapped with twine. It was only after seeing the carving tool used that I was able to see what was actually done.
Hello Bill, your description is correct. After milling I used a steel brush. Colored with Enolit colors from Steinert (a wood turning shop in Germany). Otherwise as you described.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Martin Bauer
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename