• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Fruit de Mer
Terry Scott

Fruit de Mer

Fruit de Mer

Its time to let this one out of the bag
Thanks to Kurt Bird who came up with the name.
I think this is black walnut but if I am wrong please correct me.
This was one of those pieces of wood that kicks around from spot to spot in the shed as you are aware that it is nice pieces but hesitate to use until the light bulb comes on.
At Christmas I took the family over to our holiday home. Each night before dinner id go down to the beach and have an entre of rock oysters well maybe a few more than an entre some nights I could hardy eat my dinner .
While sitting on a rock waiting for my kids to bring the next oyster (yep I have them well trained, bonding time) they dont like them much but they like getting them for dad. The only problem with them supplying them is they always have a bit of shell in the oyster.
So hear I was sitting on my rock and I saw the largest oyster yet, I had to get this one myself .Oddly enough inside the shell this pacific oyster had a small pearl inside More like a lump attached to the shimmering shell.
When I arrived home at xmas with obvious Dts for woodturning I went into my shop and tripped over this bit of wood yet again. The light bulb went on big time
I mounted this piece on a faceplate to start and turned a spigot but then mounted on my trusty Mdf fly wheel so I could turn out the waste on 3 centres
The next step was a teaser to turn the v groves of the outer clam after the 2 out side ones 1 gave up and proceeded to carve with different bits from my new King Arthur tool range.
Then sanded and sanded and sanded ,the out side was sanded to 600 grit then painfully textured with a fine dremel bit being carful not to end up with any lines in the texture . You could say this has pixels to the inch as they are so concentrated
The pearl is made from Olive bleached then airbrushed with a pearl translucent paint ,then again with a reflective medium .The inner clam has been sprayed with 20 or more coats of lacquer to give depth to the grain
The mallee burl was airbrushed with 5 or 6 different colours to take on a simmering effect like coral in clear water
I hope you like this piece because I sure do
Comments appreciated good or bad
Hi Terry
You have done it again.
I am running out of suitable words to describe how much i like your work.
Fantastic i love every thing about this piece.

Regards George

Terry, this piece is unique in so many ways! Well done!

POD 07-07-09
AAW Home Page Photo Of the Day

Kurt I don't know what to say except you have made all the work worth it . And to think your name will always be connected because of your naming this piece . Hopefully one day we shall meet to seal the friendship
Cheers my Friend !!

A spectacular piece in all phases of its execution! It really raises the bar for the rest of us.

Terry, This piece is just stunning, Excellent in every way!

Andy DiPietro
www.woodartforms.com

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Terry Scott
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings