• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Hells Gate! 11.5" x 7.75"
Glenn Phipps

Hells Gate! 11.5" x 7.75"

I'm not really sure why I chose to turn this piece of cured mesquite, for the challenge of it I guess and it seemed to be calling to me. Hells Gate is a geologic feature on Possum Kingdom Lake, west, northwest of Fort Worth Texas, not far from where I live, a location I've visited on numerous occasions. Red Bull cliff diving events have been held there if it looks or sounds familiar to any of you. This piece has taken on a spirit of its own. I'm pleased with the way it turned out. I bound the outside of it with industrial plastic wrap to turn the inside to minimize flex and oscillation.
I like the continuous form and the way the natural defect adds to it, the one criticism I have is I think a neutral background like a photographic seamless would be much better then the natural desert background as that seams to detract from the piece.

I like the continuous form and the way the natural defect adds to it, the one criticism I have is I think a neutral background like a photographic seamless would be much better then the natural desert background as that seams to detract from the piece.
I see your point I wasn't happy with the way it photographed, may reshoot it.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Glenn Phipps
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device