• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
In The Steppes Of Central Asia
billclark

In The Steppes Of Central Asia

Some time ago I ran across a photo on the web of a beautiful lidded box with an oriental theme. I really liked the form and lid design. After a great deal of research I discovered that Matthew Hill had turned the piece in the photo. The piece really intrigued me to the point I decided to do my own version of the box. I used Matthews basic design and then expanded on the theme using my own brand and adding an oriental inspired handle to the lid. As I was sketching out some ideas, I decided to do a set of three in different sizes and shapes using the same oriental theme. The forms for the shortest chubby box and the tall box are my own designs.

The boxes are turned from maple, branded with my own pattern and dyed black. The lids are turned from bloodwood and the oriental handles are made from maple, dyed and attached with brass pins. The chubby box is 4 tall with the lid and the tall box is 7 including the lid. All are sanded and finished inside in the natural maple color. The set is titled In the Steppes of Central Asia after a classical piece of music by Alexander Borodin, a favorite of mine.
This is the first time Ive attempted turning a coordinated set of boxes. Your critiques, comments and suggestions are welcomed.
Reactions: Ligia Rodrigues
Really nice job Bill. How about a picture of the middle sized one opened up to show the interior of the box and the bottom of the lid?

I really like the tall one and the mid-sized one. There is something about the small one.........not really sure what........it just doesn't seem to have the same "wow" factor as the other two. It's nice, but just doesn't look as nice as the other two to me.

Anyway, they look great as a set.

Ed

Beautiful work Bill, and, as a set, the whole is more than the sum of its parts. Thanks for including the history too.

Andy

very nice

Excellent work! A beautiful set of boxes very well named!

POD 06-22-09
AAW Home Page Photo Of the Day

Thanks for the Home Page Photo Kurt. I'm overwhelmed with the response to my lidded boxes. Molly Winton has talked me into placing them in the Instant Gallery at Albuquerque.

very elegant set, nicely matched. One question: how did you drill the holes for the pins so they lined up just right?

Thanks for the comments Alan. Sorry for the slow response but I was at the
Albuquerque Symposium and just got home. The lid is less than 3/16" thick so the holes are only 1/8" deep. They were drilled at a 17 degree angle. Because the holes are very shallow I was able to slightly chamfer the inside of the pins where they entered the lid. Once in the holes the chamfer line was below the top of the hole.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
billclark
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename