• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Mahogany/Polymer Bowl
R

Mahogany/Polymer Bowl

Laminated mahogany bowl with polymer clay inlaid rim.
Very nice piece. Can you give some details on how you did the inlay? At most of my markets I can sell natural edge bowls but traditional bowls are not great sellers. I've found that a little embellishment around the rim helps. Interested in doing more than a rolled rim, beads or holes. Thx.

From the turning standpoint it’s not really difficult. After all, it’s only a groove. I’ve only been turning 3 years. The clay is different and more complex in process. First, my wife is a talented polymer clay artist (gayleheinemanndesign.com). So I don’t do any polymer. The main problem is that polymer clay mud be cured at 300 degrees for 30 minutes. Wood bowls don’t do well in any kind of oven at 300 degrees for 30 minutes; dried first or not. We’ve experimented with a heat gun, but have failures. With small bowls, like 6” or less, a much greater success rate. For this gift for friends we had one walnut failure. Im convinced that this success was because the wood was a laminated board which was completely dry to begin with. With larger bowls and turning to a thicker wall including the groove, drying completely, then installing the clay and curing with the heat gun, then remounting and finish turning would be required I think. Even then it’s possible it would fail on larger bowls. I only turn and build furniture for friends and fun so I am not really concerned about some failure. It’s a work in process. You could use epoxy putty or even epoxy I suppose but with putty you’re limited.

Thx. Answers the question re the intricate design in the clay and how you got it to cure. Likely not something I will tackle but like the look and could use some epoxy with color or glass chips from my daughters stained glass hobby.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Randy Heinemann
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device