• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Olive hollow vessel
Paul Porter

Olive hollow vessel

I haven't posted for a while, so I thought I put up a couple of olive pieces I completed recently. This one is about 7"D x 6"H. The cracks and small voids are filled with coffee grounds and/or ebony dust. This batch of olive was different than most I get around here. It is a lot lighter in color. The finish is General Finishes Seal-a-Cell.

As always, all comments welcome.
I never heard of using coffee grounds as a filler before. It is a wonderful piece. I like the shape. I hope it makes the trip to Louisville.

I haave about a dozen coffee ground questions.

John Taylor

Paul, I really like the figure/coloring of olive wood. These forms show it very well. I have a few small pieces waiting in the wings or half way through production, we'll see if they look as good.

Thanks for the complements guys.

John - I use used/dried coffee grounds and CA. Pack the crack full of coffee grounds and drip in the CA. Then step back because it's kind of self-excellerating. It probably will smoke a little. Then cut or sand off the excess.

Yes, used coffee grounds. If you are really sensitive to caffiene try using decaf grounds

A

Yes, decaf seems to set a little slower ;)

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Paul Porter
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device