• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Peacock
E

Peacock

This is the second piece from the "dead" Cocobolo log I picked-up in Richmond. For those of you who are not familiar with the story, this log came from the mountains of central Mexico. It had fallen many years ago and was salvaged by Mitch Talcove of Tropical Exotic Hardwoods of Latin America.

The size is 8" dia x 14" tall. It received a light coat of my oil mix and was buffed with tripoli and carnauba wax.
Ed like I stated on wow this is your best work yet ,I am sure a collector will snap this up .
Just beautiful mate
cheers

Thank you Terry, Scott and squirrel who ever you are.

Terry, I have mixed feelings about parting with this piece. But I will.

Scott, It really is tactile and no one would be uncomfortable picking it up and holding it. It weighs nearly 4 lbs. but started at about 50 lbs.

squirrel, I should have given an explanation about the making of this piece. I turned it to 5/8" thick. There are 12 spirals which go left to right and 12 that go right to left. Where they intersect is what determines the shape of the pattern. Alter the # of spirals in one direction and/or change the angle of the spirals and you change the pattern. The initial carving was done with a reciprocating hand piece on a Master carver flexible shaft to form the deep flutes. From there I used various riffler files and rasps, burrs in a rotary hand piece starting with carbide followed by ruby, blue ceramcut, white aluminum oxide and sanding. When I thought I was done sanding, I sanded more because I wanted the finish you see which required and enormous amount of work.

Absolutley amazing piece. If I had the extra money I'd buy it for my house!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Ed Koenig
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device