• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Serial 21072 Model BOLN0906 Northern Red oak bark edge crotch bowl
Don Wattenhofer

Serial 21072 Model BOLN0906 Northern Red oak bark edge crotch bowl

The tree that this bowl was made from was harvested live and heathy in the fall of 2020 because it was crowding my driveway. The wood for this bowl and several others was put into cold storage (outside of my shop) until I got to it. The annual growth rings I am guessing are about 1/32" so I didn't try to count them. The bowl is about 9" diameter X 6" high with 3 piths and less than 1/4" wall thickness. The finish is lacquer without any added coloring added.
Yes it is even for north central MN and I would guess that 1 years growth in TN could be up to 1/4" annual rings.
Oaks can grow really fast in this area. I often see growth rings 3/4” apart on large trees. Here a large oak tree that’s 5 feet across may only be 65 to 70 years old.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Don Wattenhofer
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device