• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Testing a concept vase Serial 21071
Don Wattenhofer

Testing a concept vase Serial 21071

The vase is made from segments cut to test the accuracy of the segment cutting jig so it is not premium material. The segment layers were glued up without any particular design in mind, but when I started turning I thought vase. The bottom is larger than the top so I decided to hollow from both ends and that led to the need to somehow close the bottom. The solution to closing the bottom some how became a 3"-8TPI threaded plug that morphed into a holder for a small Tupperware tumbler. The top edge of the tumbler is larger then the inside neck so when the plug is screwed tight it is locked in.
Looks like your jig worked great Don! You cut these on a sled on a tablesaw?
Neither one I use a miter saw equipped with an added table with fence and toggle clamp such that once I get it tuned properly I can glue all of the segments at once. The jig also has the capability to cut safely and accurately down to the last possible segment.

Neither one I use a miter saw equipped with an added table with fence and toggle clamp such that once I get it tuned properly I can glue all of the segments at once. The jig also has the capability to cut safely and accurately down to the last possible segment.
Those last possible segments can be knee knockers to cut! I often just relegate them to the waste box…..is there really waste in segmenting? Maybe one day they will become part of a lamination!! I love this stuff!!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Don Wattenhofer
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device