• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
The 4 Tops
Jon Sauer

The 4 Tops

Spinning tops made of exotic hardwoods & nuts. Size is approximately 3" tall x 1.75" wide.
These are amazing beautiful tops, Jon. I started making tops last month, a holiday thing I suppose, but nothing as ornate and intricate as these. Yours look as though a string can be wound for starting. Is that functional? And do you also make the launchers? Do they perform as well as they look?

These are amazing beautiful tops, Jon. I started making tops last month, a holiday thing I suppose, but nothing as ornate and intricate as these. Yours look as though a string can be wound for starting. Is that functional? And do you also make the launchers? Do they perform as well as they look?
Hello Marc, These tops, for being made of wood, along with the build up of various pieces, actually spin very well. I test them during the process of making, make adjustments the best I can. I have made many string/cord pull tops, but are a bit larger, but currently I am staying with finger size. You can see lots more of my tops on Instagram user spintopjon. Thank you for comments.

Beautiful tops, Jon. What are those nuts called again? - can't remember - they are fantastic. I assume those fine textures are done with your ornamental lathe.

Beautiful tops, Jon. What are those nuts called again? - can't remember - they are fantastic. I assume those fine textures are done with your ornamental lathe.
Hi Tom, Thank you. The nuts are called Betel Nuts also called Supari. The ornamentation is chatter work and knurling.

Media information

Album
Jon Sauer Turnings
Added by
Jon Sauer
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device