• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Tops for Children's Cancer Hospital in NYC
A

Tops for Children's Cancer Hospital in NYC

Made these tops for children battling cancer at Sloan Kettering Hospital in NYC
Thanks for helping these poor kids, Arthur. Do the kids get the tops directly or are they sold
and the money donated to MSK? Are you doing this on your own or as part of a club project?

Thanks for helping these poor kids, Arthur. Do the kids get the tops directly or are they sold
and the money donated to MSK? Are you doing this on your own or as part of a club project?
Good morning Tom, The tops are individually packaged and I deliver them to the nurse's station on the children's floor. For many years I did this on my own but before the pandemic two other members of my club helped out. During the pandemic no outside gifts were allowed so I wrote a check. It's a better feeling for me to make and the kids to receive the tops in lieu of a check.

Good morning Tom, The tops are individually packaged and I deliver them to the nurse's station on the children's floor. For many years I did this on my own but before the pandemic two other members of my club helped out. During the pandemic no outside gifts were allowed so I wrote a check. It's a better feeling for me to make and the kids to receive the tops in lieu of a check.
I commend you for that, Arthur. The reason I asked was because our club (New Jersey Woodturners) has been making tops since about 2006 (?) for the Children's Specialized Hospital in NJ. The tops are sold at various venues and the proceeds go to the hospital. Last month we presented them with a $4,000 check (our best donation to date, I believe).
In case you might be interested, I posted some photos of my tops back in April ("Tops for Charity") and some others back in 2020. The pandemic put a hold on activities for almost two years.

Tom, I know of your work and the NJ Woodturners as I am a member of the Hudson Valley Woodturners. In the mid nineties I was a patient as MSKCC for a year and several years after my recovery I volunteered my time there. My experience is that it is better to physically bring the tops to the hospitals and give them to the nurses for distribution. When you write a check even though it can be earmarked for a specific use it does go into a general fund. It is far more rewarding to look through a door window and seeing a child spinning the top on their tray table. As a side note while a patient I complained to my doctor "Why me." She took me down to the children's floor and I never complained again.

I agree about the check - but sometimes that is the best option for a group to help.
"Why me." She took me down to the children's floor and I never complained again.....
well said, puts everything into perspective!
Glad you're still with us ..... stay well, my friend!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Arthur Lyn Glickman
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device