• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Twisted rope
Footed, oval-shaped, segmented bowl. Maple, padauk, wenge and mahogany. Carved feet and top edge. Before carving, 1152 segments.
Nicely done Scott! It takes brass ba%#s to cut apart a 1152 segment piece after spending all the time gluing it up (assuming that’s your process)!! The feet are an interesting add; they are not segmented, correct? I would add one comment on your wood choices as the Padauk will like turn very brown at some point impacting your very nice pattern. I always suggest contrast in patterns (don’t ask me how I know) and use Bloodwood for my go to “red” colored wood. Nice effort and I’m looking forward to your next one!

Nicely done Scott! It takes brass ba%#s to cut apart a 1152 segment piece after spending all the time gluing it up (assuming that’s your process)!! The feet are an interesting add; they are not segmented, correct? I would add one comment on your wood choices as the Padauk will like turn very brown at some point impacting your very nice pattern. I always suggest contrast in patterns (don’t ask me how I know) and use Bloodwood for my go to “red” colored wood. Nice effort and I’m looking forward to your next one!
Actually, the feet are segmented. The rings for those areas of the bowl are a much larger diameter but are part of the segmented construction. There is a lot of cutting away and sanding that takes place to get down to the feet only.

I have to give credit to Malcolm Tibbetts for the general technique involved in creating this piece. He describes it in his book. I have made one similar to that in his book - I decided to take it up a level with this pattern. I still can't wrap my head around some of his other creations.

Thanks for the comment on the padauk. I had also considered using yellow heart, but didn't have enough to get started. I'll keep my fingers crossed!!

index.php

In case you’re wondering, I feel your pain Scott! This piece is Bloodwood, Holly and Wenge. What I learned here is after 6 years of color fade, my own pattern has become rather muddled. I learned about the importance of contrast in your pattern, more so than color! The other thing I learned was how much of a knee knocker it was cutting this glue up in half; every subsequent one has become much easier!! Get back to work; you’re doing great!!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Scott Gordon
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename