• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Wormy Ash Hollowform, with Pewas
Dave Landers

Wormy Ash Hollowform, with Pewas

7.5″ diameter, 4.5″ tall. Finish is Osmo PolyX.

This piece has a nice bark inclusion running up the side. I might have left that alone, except that several other cracks developed during drying. So I fixed those cracks with pewas (butterfly inserts) and chose to bridge the bark inclusion so it would look more complete.

The worm holes – are quite a bit of trouble. Lots of detail work with dental tools and compressed air..
Another view:
IMG_6622.jpg

How did u keep it together while turning?? ?

How did u keep it together while turning?? ?
So the cracks with the smaller pewas don't really go anywhere. The bark inclusion only goes around about half way, from the mouth to the side. I left the walls a little thicker than I normally do (a bit over 1/4"), so there's plenty of structure there to support the crack.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Dave Landers
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device