• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2012 AAW Symposium

Website
groups.yahoo.com
I just wanted to start a thread about the 2012 AAW Symposium. First of all I wanted to thank all of the volunteers who help put everthing together without them this would not have happened and all of the people worked to years behind the scenes getting it all organized and making it happened. I had a great time seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Also I took a ton of photos of the instant gallery and will be posting them ASAP.

Website
Www.MartinPens.com
This was my first Symposium and I really enjoyed it.
I was focused on finding inspiration and learning about form and design rather than buying the latest tool.
Frank Cummings' lecture was a challenge to my thinking. I've been going over my notes on that a couple of times.
I found Jacques Vesery and Bill Luce to be my favorites. I enjoyed Andy Cole and Dixie Biggs as well. I was pretty saturated by the end. I did end up buying some wood, since I didn't have to ship it home. ( I drove )
I went to a couple sessions that I didn't last through. Once the artist introduced two, three or four tools that I don't have - I figured it was time to stick with what I do have. I have ended up getting my hands on a belt driven dental tool machine upon my return. It runs at 30,000 rpms. So I'm glad I hung in there for most of the relief work sessions.
The professional Exhibit - Walk In The Woods - was downright awesome. I spent some time in there just studying those pieces. Amazing!!
I also sold one of my items in the instant gallery and found the pieces in the gallery to be rather awe inspiring and some of them mind boggling!
I'm looking forward to Tampa next year. I have family in Florida, so it might make a nice combined trip.

Oh, and the banquet food was really fantastic, I thought. Best dinner I had all the nights I was there.

Thanks for the topic. I look forward to hearing what others' experiences were.

Regards,

Martin Osborn

Back