• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2013 Symposium, Tampa, FL

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
28-30 June with registration on Thursday the 27th

2013 AAW Symposium in Tampa – Invited Demonstrators
( 22+ demonstrators to be added)

Nick Agar – UK

Trent Bosch – US

Don Derry – US

Mark Gardner – US

Keith Gotschall – US

Phil Irons – UK

Mike Kehs – US

Glenn Lucas – Ireland

Mike Mahoney – US

Andre Martel – Canada

Michael Mode – US

Liz/Mich O’Donnell – Scotland

Mark Sfirri – US

Steve Sinner – US

Bill Smith – US

Hans Weissflog – Germany

Al

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
George, the 2013 Symposium is taking place in Tampa, Florida, the last weekend in June. (If that's what you meant by venue).

If you were looking for demonstration topics, and details on that, I suspect that won't be available until after all the demonstrators have been selected, sometime late fall.

But I am eagerly awaiting that info as well. I'm attending this one (sadly had to miss San Jose). But no graduation ceremonies, and hopefully no weddings to attend in 2013. :D

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The TCC is on the water.
Thanks to the RNC it has a brand new face lift.
Photo show the TCC on left and part of the large space along the water.
I put the demonstrator names on to show at San Jose.

While the much of the nation was suffering with 100 pus Tampa was at 87.
June is usually mid to high 80s with a comfortable sea breeze.

It will be a great time!
Al

Attachments

• image-154296249.jpg
    image-154296249.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 35
Kudos to the site selection committee, although not in my neighborhood, the TCC should be a great choice. Did I hear correctly that the theme for the symposium will be "currents"?

Did I hear correctly that the theme for the symposium will be "currents"?

Yes, the theme for AAW's juried exhibit in Tampa next year is Currents. All AAW members are encouraged to enter their creations! If you attend the symposium in Tampa, be sure to take time to see the special exhibits, which are usually housed separately from the Instant Gallery (and includes the themed POP exhibit).

The previous exhibits are recorded in catalogs, many of which can be purchased from the online shopping area of AAW's website. So, if you are not familiar with these exhibits, buy a couple of catalogs to see what's been made in the past. Also, many of the previous exhibits can be viewed online at AAW's Gallery website: www.galleryofwoodart.org

I don't know who the jurors will be for this exhibit, but Tib Shaw will know, so ask her tib@woodturner.org.

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

what comes to my mind is the Gulf Stream,
together with its northern extension towards Europe, the North Atlantic Drift, is a powerful, warm, and swift Atlantic ocean current that originates at the tip of Florida, and follows the eastern coastlines of the United States and Newfoundland before crossing the Atlantic Ocean.

the gulf stream is not stationary, it wanders

then there are river currents and lake currents, i have just floated lake currents fishing

John, Currents is the theme from which you create a turned object. Currents could refer to water currents or perhaps wind currents. You could, for instance, create something that resembled (abstractly) a seashell that was washed ashore by the ocean currents. Perhaps something that resembles a sail from a sailboat, to be driven by the wind currents. Leaves on native Florida trees decorating a vessel, looking like they were blown there by the wind currents. Or perhaps something stronger, the wind currents of a hurricane that destroyed an object?

This year's theme in San Jose was "A Walk in the Woods." Check out the pieces that were in that themed exhibit at www.galleryofwoodart.org. Doing so will give you an idea of how broadly that theme was interpreted.

Selecting a theme can help initiate creativity. What does "currents" mean to you? Start brainstorming, listing words, then free association, then keep those thoughts in your mind as you work in your shop. Your mind will start connecting your thoughts/ideas to the things you are making and before you know it, voila!, you've got an idea that you want to try out in wood.

Have fun!

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

Website
www.corgynwoodworks.com
I would assume the main one will be the Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina next to the Convention Center. Also nearby are Trolley's -Embassy Suites Hotel-Downtown, Channelside Marriot, Embassy Suites and The Westin Tampa Harbour Island

Symposium Planning Guide

The Symposium Planning Guide is available.

Plan your trip before arriving. Download the printer-friendly Symposium Planning Guide with full schedule, floorplans, abstracts, gallery previews, and more. Also available is the latest grid, printer-friendly on 11x17. All are available from both the woodturner.org home page and the 2013 symposium page. Any updates will automatically be uploaded to those links.

Sharon Bierman
Interim Webmaster
aaw.sharon@gmail.com
614-899-3755

Back