• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2015 Symposium

Mark, that rules out Xenia and Zanesville. As a former Buckeye, I can think of a whole sackful of places that begin with C. Most of them are too small for a symposium. The I-71 corridor might be a hint.

I heard that Baltimore was ruled out as the cheapest negotiated room rate was well over $200. And once again when you sit yourself against an ocean you lose half your drawing circle. Center of Ohio would be a great choice.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I heard that Baltimore was ruled out as the cheapest negotiated room rate was well over $200. And once again when you sit yourself against an ocean you lose half your drawing circle. Center of Ohio would be a great choice.

Bill,
Ohio is a great area. Akron was well attended.

Coastal areas are not a bad thing. Most of the AAW population lives against coast and our north south highway are much better than the east west highways. Our 3rd largest symposium was in Richmond. Second largest in St Paul with sparse AAW Membership to the north or west.
Baltimore is the center of a huge AAW Population and would do quite well attendance wise. Ohio is a day's drive from many of them and a days drive from Chicago.

While the local Ohio AAW population is on the smaller side for a symposium the potential to have a really big attendance
Is there if the members from PA, MD, DC, VA, and Chicago turn out!

There may have been an expectation that hotel rates would be high in Baltimore, but there was no quote.
Because there were no dates.
Hotel rates are an important factor for sure! A $200 a day quote would rank a site pretty low....

Al

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Below are a couple of views of AAW membership geographic distribution.

All AAW members worldwide are drawn on the the map but the map is zoomed in to show continental US and Southern Canada.
I use a GIS mapping program to produce regions of AAW membership density something like a topographic map.
I then select regions of equal density and let the program count the members in the regions.

each map shows the counts of AAW members in the regions and a dot for AAW members not in a region on this map.
This shows where our members live.

These are from AAW Membership in early 2013.

Al

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Slide3.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
The 2015 meeting site is still being discussed and decisions finalized. The general region of Ohio and Western PA is being considered; this would have easy travel access from many different directions (including southern Ontario/Quebec) and would be a reasonable drive for lots of AAW members with a symposium held in this region (see Al's maps). Bids, venue costs, meeting facilities (demo. rooms, Trade Show/Instant Gallery space, etc.), and accommodations/hotel proposals are being compared from major venue cities, but no decision has been finalized as of this week.

Hopefully within another few weeks, the 2015 AAW Symposium site will be announced (contracts have to be signed before any information can be made public).

In the mean time, you can start to think about and begin turning the pieces you'll make for the Instant Gallery in Phoenix for June 2014 - it's only 10 months from now!!!

Rob

The Great Serpent Mound is a 1,348-foot (411 m)-long,[2] three-foot-high prehistoric effigy mound located on a plateau of the Serpent Mound crater along Ohio Brush Creek in Adams County, Ohio. Maintained within a park by the Ohio Historical Society, it has been designated a National Historic Landmark by the United States Department of Interior. The Serpent Mound of Ohio was first reported from surveys by Ephraim Squire and Edwin Davis in their historic volume Ancient Monuments of the Mississippi Valley, published in 1848 by the newly founded Smithsonian Museum.

are we anywhere close to this feature????????

Symposium locations

I don't know about areas of membership densities or hotel availability or transportation considerations but I can tell you that the second largest wood turning symposium in the United States just closed with an attendance of will over 900. That symposium is held in, wait for it....................Waco, TX.

There were folks from Utah, Chicago, and Alabama.
As important as location is I think there are several other factors to consider.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I don't know about areas of membership densities or hotel availability or transportation considerations but I can tell you that the second largest wood turning symposium in the United States just closed with an attendance of will over 900. That symposium is held in, wait for it....................Waco, TX.

There were folks from Utah, Chicago, and Alabama.
As important as location is I think there are several other factors to consider.

While I have attended SWAT for probably 15 years, and it is a great venue, I don't think Waco would scale well to 1500 attendees.

I wonder if the existence of SWAT would discourage the AAW from holding their symposium in Texas, on the grounds that many people would not have the time or resources to attend two symposiums in three months, although probably SWAT would be negatively affected more than AAW.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
I wonder if the existence of SWAT would discourage the AAW from holding their symposium in Texas, on the grounds that many people would not have the time or resources to attend two symposiums in three months, although probably SWAT would be negatively affected more than AAW.

Several Texas locations were in the final competition for the 2014 symposium. In general the relationship of the regional symposiums and the national are symbiotic.
Of course each loose some attendance to the other every year. But they are different entities and serve different purposes. AAW tries to have a representative at each regional and the leadership from the regionals usually attend the AAW. Each take ideas from the other all the time. One huge benefit is the regional provide a place for up and coming turners to demonstrate and this brings new ideas into the AAW symposium.

The AAW is pleased to announce Pittsburgh PA, the “City of Bridges,†as the location for the 2015 AAW International Symposium. Centered in the Middle Atlantic region and proximate to the highest concentrations of our AAW membership, the event will be Thursday, June 25, through Sunday, June 28, 2015. Please continue to visit the AAW website for more information about the symposium as it becomes available.

//Phil McDonald//
Executive Director

Posted by Sharon Bierman
AAW Interim Webmaster
aaw.sharon@gmail.com
614-899-3755

Back