• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2019 AAW symposium

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The December Journal announces the symposium and the demonstrators.
There are quite a few active forum contributers demonstrating this year.
@John Jordan, @john lucas, Christian Brisepierre, @Emiliano Achaval, @brian horais
There may be some I missed.
Plan now to attend a terrific event

B0AD95A4-377B-4360-8352-3AFA6EFE4B96.jpeg

I have to miss it this year... Since they switched to July, they ended up having it on the same weekend as the Oregon Country Fair, known locally as the 'Hippy Fair'. Most fun show I have ever done, and most profitable too..... Only done it since 1983..... I wasn't turning then though.... See you in Kentucky.

robo hippy

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
On the registration page it says "Please check with your chapter to determine whether your chapter will participate in the chapter group discount." None of my chapter members I've asked seem to know anything about this, and I can't find more information anywhere on the AAW web page. What's it about?

I have to miss it this year... Since they switched to July, they ended up having it on the same weekend as the Oregon Country Fair, known locally as the 'Hippy Fair'. Most fun show I have ever done, and most profitable too..... Only done it since 1983..... I wasn't turning then though.... See you in Kentucky.

robo hippy
What's in Kentucky?

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
On the registration page it says "Please check with your chapter to determine whether your chapter will participate in the chapter group discount." None of my chapter members I've asked seem to know anything about this, and I can't find more information anywhere on the AAW web page. What's it about?
Roger, you should bring this up at your next club meeting. The AAW has special pricing for clubs. Your club President should be able to find more info about it. I have to look into it too, hopefully I can bring my cheering squad from Maui to Raleigh. Aloha

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
If you haven't seen Kim Winkle do here demos you are missing out on something. she is very good. Dennis Paullus also does an excellent demo. Actually as I look down the list there are a lot of really good demonstrators.

Kentucky is the next one, like Donna said, then the year after is Omaha. I think Omaha will be my last as a vendor. It takes a lot out of me to do the shows, and I want to spend more time in the new home and shop..... I may go more as an attendee or even demonstrator...

robo hippy

Information about the Chapter Discount program was sent to chapter leaders about two weeks ago. Following is the chapter bulletin that chapter leaders received:
Symposium Chapter Group Discount

Once again, the AAW will offer a chapter group discount for the 2019 symposium. The offer will be for AAW members only and extends a savings of $25 per symposiumregistration - or a savings of at least $250 per chapter group. Chapters that elect to participate will also receive one complimentary reserved table at the Saturday evening dinner (tickets for the dinner must be purchased).

Eligibility

The discount is available to AAW chapters and chapter members who are AAW members. Chapters must form a 2019 AAW Symposium group of ten or morechapter members at a discounted rate of $300 per registration.

Additions

Optional tickets will available for purchase:

· Saturday night dinner tickets are $55 per person.

· Spouse symposium registration is $185 per spouse (for spouses who wish to attend rotations).

What Chapters Need To Do

· A chapter representative must express a commitment to the AAW that the chapter will organize a group of ten or more symposium attendees by February 28, 2019at memberservices@woodturner.org.

· The chapter representative must collect and submit to the AAW checks for all symposium attendees by April 1, 2019.

Payment

· Checks will be the only form of payment accepted. No credit card payments will be accepted. Personal checks or a chapter check made payable to the "American Association of Woodturners" will be accepted representing the discounted cost of $300 per attendee, plus any optional additions, by April 1, 2019.

· If the attendee would like any of the optional "Additions" (dinner tickets or spouse registration), the cost of the additions should be added to the member's discounted $300 symposium registration.

Please watch for more details and information about the chapter group discount offer coming soon!

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Lauren and I are arriving Thursday afternoon.

On Friday 12:20 - 1:20 I am hosting a special interest session called Rethinking Demonstrations... you know, all that computer and camera stuff I go on about to do Demonstrations remotely via the internet, or on site.

On Saturday afternoon 3:00 or so, I am on a panel discussion... one of my favorite sessions... called Woodturning with Physical Limitations.

If you are at the symposium, you are invited to visit both of these sessions!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
On the main web site, I looked for an event near me. I found the 12th Annual Symposium listed with no date. If you are attending the 33rd, that star on the map is not very helpful.

You have two close ones in a row.
2020 is Louisville, and 2021 is Omaha
Both may be less than a 3 hr drive.

I'm kinda a newbie. Last winter I discovered the Tenn Symposium. I was just looking for other regional events that I could take in. I quit looking at the map when I realized past events were still shown. I'm definitely going to Omaha. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the organizers reached out to our club for some volunteers.

If you're still looking for some regional events here are a few more. Ohio Valley has a symposium in Oct that is actually held in South East Indiana, so maybe striking distance for you. Turn On Chicago is every other year so will happen next in July 2020. There is also SWAT (in Texas?).

There is also SWAT (in Texas?)

hehe....reportedly one of largest regional & well attended symposium....highlight of Woodturners demo activity to be asked

That was quite a party in Raleigh! I’ll like to give a shoutout to our leadership and team for their great efforts in pulling it off as well as they did!! They’ve got their edge honed pretty well!! On to Louisville!

I really enjoyed the Raleigh Symposium, learned a lot from the great presenters, and inspired by the exhibits. Ready to get in the shop and master some of these tools.

Me too. I learned a lot and loved the instant gallery and the other exhibits. The only negative was the single camera setup for the demonstrations. Definitely a step backwards compared to the Atlanta and Pittsburgh symposia, where each demonstration had two cameras.

This was my first AAW Symposium, as I am approaching 1 year in turning. I was flatly - overwhelmed with the amount of information available, and the quality of the classes.Even the most known in woodturning treated me as a"fellow turner" rather than " a nobody" ( which I am....:D). NOT ONCE did I experience or witness an ego unchecked. The kindness extended me was huge: My wife and I could not find 2 seats together at the banquet Saturday evening. I approached someone in a black shirt - not reading their name tag and explained what my dilemma - and asked what I could do...he responds with..." Come with me - be my guest"....and seated the Mrs. and myself up front at an AAW Board table. It was humbling to be treated so..."equal" in an environment filled with so many more qualified, known, gift, accomplished...and more deserving people.

And for the sake of full disclosure....I have been a board member of a large international organization in many ways like the AAW. It is not an easy job - nor is it often that anyone took time to express gratitude for the enormous amount of time and effort that goes into running such an organization - and producing a symposium of incredible quality. I want to say THANK YOU to the AAW and the Raleigh woodturners and all volunteers for an experience that confirmed for me that I am in the right place and with the right group of people.
T

Last edited:
I was skeptical of the boom camera the first time I saw it in Atlanta.
My experience at that point was with the dual camera setup at our club.
I operated a dual camera setup for the Atlanta and Kansas City symposiums.
Last year in Portland the AAW switched to all boom cameras and thus I switched.
I was impressed with the ability to get shots with the boom that were much harder ( or awkward ) with a tripod camera.
It does take some practice and coordination to operate the boom in a smooth fashion.
The video crew had most of Thursday to practice, taking turns.
There are some significant use cases for a dedicated overhead camera, but they are really not as common.
The HDMI switching delay between cameras ( without a significant cost in equipment ) is no small headache.
In addition, the current safety shield in front of the lathe does not have a good mount for a camera over the lathe bed.

The success of the demonstration is helped or hindered by the quality of the video, especially in the long rooms we had in Raleigh.
I think that as more clubs build their own booms from the AAW plans, the quality of demo video will go up as the experience and comfort level with the equipment improves.
It is also important to remember that the video operators have to improvise from the beginning, not having seen the demo before.
Some demonstrators try and work with the video crew, some are so wrapped up in their demo that they almost work to counter the videographers efforts.

Well for me the one negative was I ran out of $$ at the trade show. Just so many thing that I “need”. Other than that I really enjoyed the symposium. Mark is right on about the demonstrators working with the video. Some would have the video set to show a feature. Louisville is near me and most likely will help the Louisville club as a volunteer in some way.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
ran out of $$ at the trade show.

Glad you enjoyed it.

No imagination there was an ATM SunTrust bank across the street
:). machines are kept full of money when we have run out of $$ situations :)

Our friends ran out of cash too with no ATM card.
They needed $350 to buy a couple pieces from a foreign artist who had no way to cash a US check.
We got money for them from the ATM.
With the magic of internet banking we deposited our friends loan repayment check to us right from our IPad. - Click deposit check, scan check, done.
Felt like a money launderer

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Glad you enjoyed it.

No imagination there was an ATM SunTrust bank across the street
:). machines are kept full of money when we have run out of $$ situations :)

Our friends ran out of cash too with no ATM card.
They needed $350 to buy a couple pieces from a foreign artist who had no way to cash a US check.
We got money for them from the ATM.
With the magic of internet banking we deposited our friends loan repayment check to us right from our IPad. - Click deposit check, scan check, done.
Felt like a money launderer
I have been using some "new" methods of payment. One is an app called Venmo. Seems like every person under 35 has it. Some young customers wanted to pay me with it, my son overheard and told me: Pa, I have been using it for at least a year! He showed me how and now I have it. Other way is PayPal, works worldwide. Another one is Apple Pay. I had a great time at the symposium. Had lots of people approached me to tell me they had fun at my demos, always nice to hear back from the attendees.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Information about the Chapter Discount program was sent to chapter leaders about two weeks ago. Following is the chapter bulletin that chapter leaders received:
Symposium Chapter Group Discount

Once again, the AAW will offer a chapter group discount for the 2019 symposium. The offer will be for AAW members only and extends a savings of $25 per symposiumregistration - or a savings of at least $250 per chapter group. Chapters that elect to participate will also receive one complimentary reserved table at the Saturday evening dinner (tickets for the dinner must be purchased).

Eligibility

The discount is available to AAW chapters and chapter members who are AAW members. Chapters must form a 2019 AAW Symposium group of ten or morechapter members at a discounted rate of $300 per registration.

Additions

Optional tickets will available for purchase:

· Saturday night dinner tickets are $55 per person.

· Spouse symposium registration is $185 per spouse (for spouses who wish to attend rotations).

What Chapters Need To Do

· A chapter representative must express a commitment to the AAW that the chapter will organize a group of ten or more symposium attendees by February 28, 2019at memberservices@woodturner.org.

· The chapter representative must collect and submit to the AAW checks for all symposium attendees by April 1, 2019.

Payment

· Checks will be the only form of payment accepted. No credit card payments will be accepted. Personal checks or a chapter check made payable to the "American Association of Woodturners" will be accepted representing the discounted cost of $300 per attendee, plus any optional additions, by April 1, 2019.

· If the attendee would like any of the optional "Additions" (dinner tickets or spouse registration), the cost of the additions should be added to the member's discounted $300 symposium registration.

Please watch for more details and information about the chapter group discount offer coming soon!
Jeff, thank you for all the hard work you put in, what a great and successful event! You reminded me of "Where is Waldo" I saw you all over the place!!

This was my first AAW Symposium. I’ve attended the TAW for several years. My hats off to everyone who had a hand in organizing it, and to the demonstrators. I will definitely be going to Louisville.

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
Me too. I learned a lot and loved the instant gallery and the other exhibits. The only negative was the single camera setup for the demonstrations. Definitely a step backwards compared to the Atlanta and Pittsburgh symposia, where each demonstration had two cameras.
As a demonstrator, I prefer the single camera, but the operator AND AND AND the demonstrator must be aware. I sat in part of Mike Jackovsky's demo and about half the time, the audience watched the back of Mike's new smock. I'm afraid the operator was watching Mike and not his monitor. My similar demos always had a good picture, the camera guy was on top of it-not his first time. They all work for free and try to do a good job, and I appreciate them for that. Makes it easier on me.

John

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I often run the video cameras at AAW events when I'm attending and at the TAW symposiums. I think 1 camera when done properly is the best option. For years they played with 2 and 3 cameras and you can never seem to get them placed just right. With the new boom arms I can put the camera right where it needs to be so you can see the cutting action or whatever is necessary. The trick is not to move it around a lot which makes people dizzy, and to not to constantly zoom in and out. As an operator the best thing to do is watch your monitor. You simply adjust the camera until you see what you would like to see if you were an audience member. If you concentrate on the monitor instead of the watching the demo you get to see what's happening better and so does the audience. Now when your filming someone like Stewart batty it's like trying to film the cartoon character Tazmanian Devel. Either that or trying to video the bouncing ball inside a pinball machine. Great guy and good demonstrator but lord that man can bounce from the lathe to grinder and drawing board faster than anyone I know.
As a demonstrator who is not used to cameras it's really hard to concentrate on working the camera. Even with the monitors that they had at this AAW symposium I caught myself not paying attention to it and moving in such a way that the camera operator had trouble. that comes with experience. We aren't professional TV personalities, we are wood turners, so we have to learn. I was fortunate to have excellent camera operators at my demos. As John said, every one of them is a volunteer and they try the best they can. They are not professional camera operators either. One year the TAW tried to get Video students from the local college to run the cameras. It was terrible. Although they know how to run cameras they don't know anything about turning and didn't have any idea what the audience needs to see. My thanks again to all the volunteers who made the symposium run smoothly.

Being a camera operator at an AAW Symposium must be a test from the woodturning Gods.....:D. I know it is a hard job, as I watched some struggle with the endless coordination between the turner's movements and the intended focal point of the camera. So I cannot offer any criticism in good conscience - for fear that the God of the Skew will avenge his peers on me.:)
My only "would like to see..." on my list is WIDER CHAIR SPACING. This was a cramp inducing aspect that was not a choice of seating by the AAW...just what chairs provided by the Civic Center. However, they were linked together, such that if you were larger than 5"-10", and 175 pounds....you were unable to fit at the shoulder without dislocating your neighboro_O. This made the note taking effort a form of yoga and gymnastics. All were well humored about it and carried on well. But it is just my wish that at future events - consideration be made for those of us that are 6'-1"+ and 235lbs. ( I think the average American is bigger than chair designers in foreign lands....:cool:)

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
Being a camera operator at an AAW Symposium must be a test from the woodturning Gods.....:D. I know it is a hard job, as I watched some struggle with the endless coordination between the turner's movements and the intended focal point of the camera. So I cannot offer any criticism in good conscience - for fear that the God of the Skew will avenge his peers on me.:)
My only "would like to see..." on my list is WIDER CHAIR SPACING. This was a cramp inducing aspect that was not a choice of seating by the AAW...just what chairs provided by the Civic Center. However, they were linked together, such that if you were larger than 5"-10", and 175 pounds....you were unable to fit at the shoulder without dislocating your neighboro_O. This made the note taking effort a form of yoga and gymnastics. All were well humored about it and carried on well. But it is just my wish that at future events - consideration be made for those of us that are 6'-1"+ and 235lbs. ( I think the average American is bigger than chair designers in foreign lands....:cool:)

I know what you mean, but those are going to be the same in every convention center in America. Get there early and get one on the end.

John

My doctors office has thru out his offices(lobby, blood taking, inspection) has included some bench type chairs. Only thing they are for taller also....had to give blood now cannot reach the floor. I think Bassett Furn makes them....offices of Basset somewhat local although I am sure they are made overseas since all the furniture plants of Bassett were either sold to the English for the 100 year old lumber or somehow every time there was lightning another burned down.

the bench is large enough for 2 normal people or 1 large person with back rest and armrests.

I do not know why aaw Cannot contract with symposium site with several benches in each rotation room. ..assembly....even dinner....imo

Course before airline does this is way in future

Back