• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A Recommendation for a(nother) YouTube Turning Mentor

Tomislav Tomasic is a Croatian who has a very good instructional and design inspiration YouTube channel.

His videos are in English with a slight Slavic accent, but perfectly understandable. I don't know the guy personally and he has no idea that I am recommending his channel.

So... I am well aware that there are a number of GREAT online mentors out there. I think Tomislav is a worthy addition to your Mentor quiver.

Cheers!

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I enjoy watching his videos, not so much for the learning, as the entertaining. He is really quite good at explaining things that he is doing, and a number of ideas that I had in the back of my mind to try out, watching a couple of his videos triggered me to give it a shot for some reason. (Raffan's asymmetric grind, for one, which I put on a 1/2-inch bowl gouge that became too short for vari-grind). So, I'll second that he's well worth adding to your YouTube subscriptions (Which are actually free, if you're willing to put up with a few ads)

I have been watching some of his videos lately. I would love to have a play date with him. Yes, he is good!

robo hippy

He's great, and clearly heavily influenced by Richard Raffan. The one thing I have to remind myself when watching him and Raffan is that they are (or were) production turners, and some of the techniques aren't as applicable to low-volume hobbyist turners.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The one thing I have to remind myself when watching him and Raffan is that they are (or were) production turners, and some of the techniques aren't as applicable to low-volume hobbyist turners.
Each of us needs to find what works for us. Videos, demos, books, and articles in the journal are all good sources for learning what to do and what to avoid.

My highest recommendation goes to hands on classes and workshops. From my experience as student, assistant, and teacher, hands on is the best way for most to learn new skills and get feed back on using them to their own ability.

You probably saw this thread on a hands on class. Many attendees never make Hats after class . The do learn valuable skills and the Michelson grind.

Last edited:
You probably saw this thread on a hands on class. Many attendees never make Hats after class . The do learn valuable skills and the Michelson grind.

I took a class with David Ellsworth in September and saw an immediate increase in my skills/confidence. I made a lot more progress in those 3 days than in the previous year learning from books and videos.

Back