• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

AAW insurance

Website
www.pueblowoodturners.org
general liability insurance coverage available to AAW members.

James, Log in to the members only area.
Jan 10 - says travelers is still covering AAW members as in the past
Jan 31 - a copy of the letter sent to chapter reps as reported to AAW hqs.

Al

I contacted Travelers they tell me Northern Capital insurance is the provider. But the there agent is out of the office. :mad:

Still not having any luck getting any info on the general liability insurance coverage available to AAW members.

So far Northern Capital is the carrier :confused:

Sounds like there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Thank You Phil for the news.

$90 is doable

Last edited:
The AAW recently sent this message to the Chapters (updated) ...

We are pleased to inform you that a resolution has been achieved that will restore general liability insurance coverage for our AAW Chapters.

Effective Friday, February 15, 2013, the AAW has coverage under a new commercial general liability policy. This restores coverage in the AAW policy for all Chapters. The terms and conditions of this policy were negotiated deliberately to obtain the best possible coverage for the AAW, for our AAW members, and for our approved AAW Chapters.

But the premium cost for this coverage has escalated significantly, and the AAW will no longer be able to fully subsidize the cost of extending coverage to our Chapters. An annual contribution of $90 from each Chapter willing to participate in the insurance plan will be required. We are allowing a 60-day grace period for Chapters to determine whether they will want to participate.

You do not need to do anything at this point to be included – all approved Chapters will immediately be insured when the coverage is bound and will remain insured during the 60-day grace period.

We are preparing a detailed description of the insurance coverage, limits, and conditions and will send it to you by Tuesday, February 19. This information also will be available on the AAW website.

A one-page, side-by-side comparison of the features of this new AAW insurance policy and the optional policy plan previously made available will be available for download at http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/ChapterInsurance/.

Please direct inquiries to Phil McDonald at 651-484-9094.

Signed by
// Phil McDonald, Executive Director
// Dale Larson, President
// David Morris, Chair
// John Hill, Former Chair

Posted by Sharon Bierman, Interim Webmaster

Last edited:
February 20, 2013 ... CHAPTERS ... The AAW has updated its web page re "AAW Member & Approved AAW Chapter General Liability Insurance" and "Optional Chapter Insurance Policies." There you can review (1) a matrix comparison of policies and (2) a fact sheet with FAQs.

Last edited:

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
February 21, 2013 ... INDIVIDUALS - LIABILITY ... The AAW has updated its web page re its general liability insurance policy. There you can review a fact sheet with FAQs.

In the FAQ, #4 states
To be covered while demonstrating, the new insurance policy now requires
a written, binding contract between you as demonstrator and the AAW or
AAW chapter specifying the performance of your duties

Is there a "binding contract" that they suggest we use? Assuming the AAW had it written by a lawyer.

Contract?

Appears they want to be able to have the activity documented in some fashion ahead of time; most likely to frustrate falsified claims.

A 1-page letter agreement, signed and dated by the demonstrator and the Chapter pres or VP that states " X will demonstrate bowl turning for 1 hour at the Northwest Slobovia Woodturners' monthly meeting on Feb 30, 2013 for the fee of 30 kopeck$." would probable be sufficient.

Of course, were I Mr. X, I'd want a few more details like provided equipment etc., but just because it's the Philadelphia Insurance Co. doesn't mean you need a Philadelphia lawyer to kill trees for you. :D

After dealing with demonstrators for a couple of years I think it is in the best interest of the club/chapter and the demonstrator to have everything in writing.
Before the demo.
When it comes time to settle up, everyone knows the score.

Contract is a scary word. Demonstration agreement may be more palatable.
Regardless it is worlds better than a bunch of email and phone conversations remembered after the demo is completed.

After a whole year in a class on contract law, my Old Man, finest trial lawyer I've ever met, taught me the final lesson when he asked" OK, Hotshot, explain to me what a contract is for." After I expounded for about 15 minutes, he commented, "Very nice. You were listening in class. But wrong. The purpose for a written contract is 'to keep honest people honest.'"

I've carried that lesson with me for more than 30 years, and it's never failed to guide me in what I do.

I really should get a T-shirt made . . . . ;)

Insurance Opt-In Confirmation

For those chapters wishing to have AAW-subsidized blanket liability a cost of $90/chapter, please submit your interest by April 15. A form has been set up at woodturner.org/community/chapters/ChapterInsurance/ for your convenience.

Also, a "sample demonstration contract template" has been added to the website.

Sharon Bierman, Interim Webmaster

Last edited:
Back