• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

AAW Membership

This forum seemed to be the best place for this.
I am sure there are a lot of new turners who, like me, started reading and participating in these forums to have access to the knowledge and help of more experienced turners, and it is free.
I recently became a full member of AAW and immediately got access to the extensive wealth of information on techniques, tools, set-up, and every other aspect of turning.
The reason I’m posting this is because I want to let others know how valuable this resource is. If you are a new turner, even if you have some experience under your belt, I highly recommend becoming a member of AAW to gain access to all this information. It is pretty inexpensive and the benefits far outweigh the cost.
Best $68 I’ve ever spent?

I had the first 15 years of “Fine Woodworking”….until there was a leak and they all got soaked. Glad they are all online.
The second thing I turned was was the segmented bowl shown on the cover of the Winter 1975 issue.

This forum seemed to be the best place for this.
I am sure there are a lot of new turners who, like me, started reading and participating in these forums to have access to the knowledge and help of more experienced turners, and it is free.
I recently became a full member of AAW and immediately got access to the extensive wealth of information on techniques, tools, set-up, and every other aspect of turning.
The reason I’m posting this is because I want to let others know how valuable this resource is. If you are a new turner, even if you have some experience under your belt, I highly recommend becoming a member of AAW to gain access to all this information. It is pretty inexpensive and the benefits far outweigh the cost.
Best $68 I’ve ever spent?

Hello
I am also new to the group. and sadly not very computer savey , How do you access all of those links you show on the member services link?

C.A.G.

Go to the top of the page and click on Membership. You need to join AAW to access all those benefits. Well worth it. There are some free learning items you can access by clicking Learning at the top of the page but it is miniscule compared to what you get for the reasonable fee of $68 a year. Works out to $0.19 a day. That's not even chump change!

Hello there George.

I have the membership, but have no idea how to access the page. None of the links work for me.
I know that I am doing something wrong, but have no idea how to work the machine.
C.A.G.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I have the membership, but have no idea how to access the page. None of the links work for me.
Well that particular page (the one in George's original post) is pretty odd. It is basically a printable brochure, and none of the blue text that look like links are actually links. Sneaky or just plain bad design. Either way it is confusing.

One option is to just type those links into your browser's address bar.

But all the stuff mentioned in that "brochure" (page) is available on the website somewhere, although the navigation (in my opinion) can be a bit awkward, so it may take a bit of exploring to find.

At the top of every page of woodturner.org is a menu:

Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 9.55.28 PM.png

You can hover your mouse over the words (like "Resources") and another menu will come up - and you can either click those words (like "Publications") or sometimes hovering there will bring up more choices.

That assumes you're on a computer. If you're on your phone, the menus are still there, but accessible via the little box with 3 lines (computer people call that a "hamburger menu" because apparently it looks like a burger to someone whose been staring at a computer all day long with nothing to eat but Doritos and Mountain Dew... but I digress):

AAW Main Homepage.jpeg

Hope that helps some!

It is confusing. If you have already become a member then what you need to do is go to the AAW main site. On the Forum page, under the AAW banner is a list of options - "Forums, Photo Gallery, What's New etc. If you click the right arrow you will see another option to go to the AAW main site. Click that option and the main site will have the option that Dave's image shows. Click on the "Learn" option and then "Learn about woodturning". That brings up a latheload of training information and resources.
Not the best site navigation design.

Back