• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Adding a pen or pencil to your engineering dividers

I often use a 12" pair of dividers to layout some of my pieces and it was always a hassle to adequately secure the pencil to the leg of the dividers. I t has to be secure and rigid and yet quickly and simply changed. So I can up with this as down under there didnt seem to be much available. Machined out of standard aluminium and locked onto the leg with two m4 locking screws, readily adjusted or removed.

IMG_2960.JPG

IMG_2959.JPG

I have a very large compass I believe I bought it at harbor freight, don't know how big a circle it will draw but my lathe will only turn a 20" blank and it will draw that, wasn't much...just a thought

I have a very large compass I believe I bought it at harbor freight, don't know how big a circle it will draw but my lathe will only turn a 20" blank and it will draw that, wasn't much...just a thought
Marvin Harbour Freight doesn't really exist out side the US, some of their product are available in other hardware stores.

hughie, you obviously have some technical skills beyond woodturning. That looks like a well engineered and handsome piece of hardware. If you were in the states, I'd ask you to make one for me.

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
Clever solution to the problem!

Made me think of either a split bolt like used to splice power line (available in the big box hardware stores), or a ground rod clamp (the type that presses the wire against the rod with a screw to tighten it down and hold everything together). Wonder if one of those might work. They come in assorted sizes. Next time I am at one of those places I will grab some parts to experiment with :)

If I had the necessary materials (and skills) I would consider one like you made. It is a pain when you do not have a compass you need and try to press a pair of dividers into service. I have been known to creatively (ab)use language when needing to do that! :cool:

Clever solution to the problem!

Made me think of either a split bolt like used to splice power line (available in the big box hardware stores), or a ground rod clamp (the type that presses the wire against the rod with a screw to tighten it down and hold everything together). Wonder if one of those might work. They come in assorted sizes. Next time I am at one of those places I will grab some parts to experiment with :)

If I had the necessary materials (and skills) I would consider one like you made. It is a pain when you do not have a compass you need and try to press a pair of dividers into service. I have been known to creatively (ab)use language when needing to do that! :cool:
I started out with masking tape, but it was never really secure . When I was kid growing up you could get a wooden compass that held the chalk for the blackboard this memory got me going.

hughie, you obviously have some technical skills beyond woodturning. That looks like a well engineered and handsome piece of hardware. If you were in the states, I'd ask you to make one for me.
Hmm I dare say you could work something up in wood. But thanks for the compliment its well appreciated.

Back