• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Additions to AAW's Permanent Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

Can anyone tell me the amount of money that was spent on the 3 pieces that were bought by the AAW for the permanent collection? And better yet, how much was spent on each purchased piece?

Thanks,

Roger
South of Chicago

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The Pieces were purchase by the POP (Professional Outreach) committee of the AAW. The POP used funds raised from the the Sphere auction for this.

The actual amounts paid have not been published to my knowledge and I would not expect them to be published.
The POP encourages the artist to sell to the POP(AAW) at a "best" price.
It would be in appropriate to publish this price as it may make it difficult for the artists to make future sales at the full price.

The pieces were selected/recommended by the Instant Gallery critique panel.

The POP hopes that these IG awards will encourage more participation in future symposia IGs.

Happy turning,
Al

I find it offensive that when an answer is thoughtfully given, you can't just say thank you and move on.

The reason for the decision not to share the prices paid was given. If I had been privileged to have a piece bought by the POP to be included in the permanent collection, and had given the AAW a break on the price I would be highly hurt if that price were shared with the public. That would be a violation of good business practice. As it stands anyway, the board of directors was not the purchasers of the pieces, the POP committee was.

As for your accusatory comment of “more secrets†you and everyone else have been informed of how and where to ask for answers. I belong to several non-profit organizations (and sit on the Board of one) and none of them is as open as the AAW. And no, NONE of them posts the minutes or transactions (purchases or other wise) that they do in open forums like the Internet. They all have systems in place for members to ask for info.

I am now beginning to realize why so many people that I visited with in both Portland and in Richmond said that they would never participate in this forum. I have three times now come close to removing myself from the forum and will definitely think twice before I visit again.

And yes, I do post under my real name.

Clayton Cochran
Founder, Alamo Woodturners Association
San Antonio, Texas

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
not letting this go down a political rathole. I am closing this thread.

My suggestion is this,
if you have questions, feel free to call the AAW office and have them answered.
All the email addresses of the officers as well as the main office phone numbers can be found here.
http://www.woodturner.org/info/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back