• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Advice/info needed for 1.25" chuck

I've received my Nova Neptune lathe. I have very limited experience but so far so good.
It has a 1.25" 8tpi drive. I would like to buy a chuck that fits without the need to adapt to a 1". Doesn't make sense to me to start downsizing and getting adapters involved if I can avoid it.
A package of some sort would be nice. Nova has the Titan which is for bigger lathes/swings. Nova once offered an anniversary Supernova2 package 1.25" direct thread which I can't find stocked anywhere.
It doesn't have to be Nova. They just seem to be a bit more affordable yet still have solid quality.
All help and advice is appreciated. Thanks.

There's a difference between an "insert" and an "adapter". An adapter changes the size and/or threading on the spindle, with the drawback that it moves the chuck away from the headstock to some extent. Adapters are used when you want to use your older threaded items on your new, differently threaded lathe. An insert is an integrated connection between chuck and spindle, which allows the manufacturer to make a huge run of identical products, keeping costs down, then allow the end user to fit them to whatever spindle threading they have. They add no significant distance between chuck and headstock, and a modest amount of cost to the user. The use of an insert also allows the user to move the chuck to a new, differently sized lathe in the future, at little cost.

If Nova is no longer selling a direct threaded Supernova, check Record which makes a nearly identical chuck. If not available, and Oneway and Vicmarc, also don't sell direct thread chucks in your size, you may have to get on the Forum Classifieds, Craigslist, and Ebay and look for a used model with direct threads.

Not sure what size chucks you're looking for, but here are a few direct thread Vicmarc chucks (so no spindle adapter required). I'm sure other manufacturers can provide the same. But having spindle adapters isn't the end of the world...works fine, and allows you to use the chuck on another differently sized lathe with just a different spindle adapter.
(I just picked woodworkers emporium - shop around others may carry)

I have had great luck (8 years +) with Supernova2 chucks. I have 3 of them, each outfitted with a 1-1/4" Nova insert. Stay away from off-brand inserts.

Agreed with prior commenters: chucks designed to use inserts to achieve the correct spindle threading size are just fine IMO, and fairly ubiquitous. They’re quite low profile, essentially just part of the chuck body. I mostly think of adapters as those used to allow a larger-spindle lathe, e.g. your 1.25” x 8tpi with a chuck designed for a smaller threading such as 1” x 8 tpi. These have their place – I have a small special-purpose chuck that requires one on my lathe – but they necessarily add a lot of length/bulk which I wouldn’t love on one of my primary-workflow chucks.

Really pleased with the nova titan 3 direct thread to 1.25”-8. It spins true, it’s very substantial and holds bowls really well.
Not so happy with the used supernova 2 that came with my lathe. It is the M33-3,5 version using an adapter to take it to 1.25”. It does not spin perfectly true, the adapter is likely to blame and swapping that out may lead to an improvement, though if I understand correctly this is different than the insert version of this chuck? Either way, if you want to do anything larger than a six inch bowl, I think you will be much happier with a larger chuck.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I suggest considering jaws that will serve you best with what you want to turn.
As mentioned above inserts are ubiquitous with chucks.
I have vicmark 120, ONEWAY talon, ONEWAY stronghold, and an ancient nova with Tommy bars.

I prefer dovetail jaws for turning bowls, platters, endgrain hollow forms, and small items where a perfect circle grip does not mar the surface.
For square spindle stock and spindles in general I prefer the ONEWAY profile jaws.
For holding tenons I like the smooth ONEWAY pin jaws.

All of the major manufacturer chucks will hold well with tenons and recesses made for their jaws.

I’m not a fan of nova Birdbeak jaws. They don’t hold over sized tenons or square stock very well.

Dove tail jaws hold over sized tenons really well I use 2.5” tenon in green bowls - the dried oval tenon can be returned to 2”
Dove tail will usually hold square stock well enough(unless the wood is punky)
The ONEWAY jaws will hold oversized tenons and square tenons better than dovetails but it sort of a diminishing return advantage.

I prefer an insert style chuck vs direct thread - easily changed for a different spindle thread in the future vs getting new chucks. IMO Oneway has the best insert design, but others work well also.

Get a chuck with a large selection of jaws so that as your project needs develop over time you acquire a new jaw set vs a new chuck/jaw set. I prefer tenons the vast majority of the time. Oneway and Vicmarc have the best selection of jaws for tenons. Record Power also has a good selection, more than Nova (depending one chuck size, RP and Nova jaws are interchangeable). RP and Nova don’t have the range of grip size of Oneway, dont know about Vicmarc - look at grip range of chucks.

I have had great luck (8 years +) with Supernova2 chucks. I have 3 of them, each outfitted with a 1-1/4" Nova insert. Stay away from off-brand inserts.
I also use the supernova 2. You can buy a kit with the chuck, insert. a couple sets of jaws, and wrench. Turned everything from very small pieces to 20" pieces with the various jaws.

Can't beat this deal.

Can't beat this deal.

This is a great deal.
John, I got the band aids. :p

Can't beat this deal.

Wow, no kidding. That's in CAD, too, so shipping included it's about $90 US. I should have bought two. ;)

Keep in mind those smaller chucks are for smaller projects. The gear ratio is very different from a Titan and the gripping power is not anywhere close. (I have 1 Supernova and just bought my 3rd Titan)

Nova chucks are ok. I had 7 of them. The one thing I always hated was changing jaws on the Nova’s or any other chuck with the screws holding them. That is why I had 7 chucks so I wouldn’t need to keep removing the screws to change jaws. I sold all my Nova chucks I bough the Axminster SK114 and SK100. The Sk114 is larger of the two where the SK100 is similar to the Nova chuck size. I like the Axminister chucks much better than the Nova chucks I had. Both Axminster chucks are direct thread for my Robust (1.25-8tpi) and are stainless steel bodies. I prefer a direct thread chuck, one less variable to affect runout verses a chuck with an insert. Once you have a lathe with the 1.25-8tpi spindle, it “almost” becomes a no issue if you change lathes. To change jaws wit the Axminster chucks, you crank out one set jaws and crank in a new set jaws. This does require buying jaw slides for each jaw set , but a whole lot cheaper than buying a new chuck and much easier to change jaws. Axminster have a large selection of jaws and are the only one to offer the O’Donnell jaws. I use those a lot. Most jaws are interchangeable between the SK 114 and Sk100. Now that jaw changing is easier I no longer need 7 chucks.

Last edited:
If I werent broke, id have got two more!
I called up a store.... cause there was a "Super Nova 2" for $99 and a "Supernova 2" for $199 (with description as 'Insert Version'). haha. Both were insert versions and both let you choose a FREE insert! The guy couldnt see any difference, only that one model was discontinued. I bought a few, got an alert from my bank asking if I had authorized these transactions (I guess because it came from Canada)... I was about to say yes, but the amount was much lower than the price I paid! I looked into it and the $99 price was in Canadian dollars! It was only $71 for a SuperNova2! Unreal! But we will see if I actually get it! haha

I called up a store.... cause there was a "Super Nova 2" for $99 and a "Supernova 2" for $199 (with description as 'Insert Version'). haha. Both were insert versions and both let you choose a FREE insert! The guy couldnt see any difference, only that one model was discontinued. I bought a few, got an alert from my bank asking if I had authorized these transactions (I guess because it came from Canada)... I was about to say yes, but the amount was much lower than the price I paid! I looked into it and the $99 price was in Canadian dollars! It was only $71 for a SuperNova2! Unreal! But we will see if I actually get it! haha
KMS has never let me down

Back