• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Air Brush Set Up

We'd like to try air brushing on to wood. We have an air brush and a suitable compressor but I'm curious what else would be required for a simple basic air brush set up.

We're picturing a small cart with the compressor on the lower shelf and air brush supplies on top that could be rolled where it's needed since two of us will be using it.

Thanks, looking forward to your suggestions.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I just have to dig all of mine out and put it on the workbench. I did make a sort of spray booth. I just made it out of cardboard with a filter in the back. I put a small fan at my back. It's really only designed to keep the spray from going everywhere in the shop and really doesn't function like a real spray booth with a fan to pull spray and fumes through the filter. I do put my dust collector hose on the back side of the filter and maybe that does pull some of the spray into the filter. For more intricate work I hold the work in my hand or lap and just spray out in the open area. Not very sophisticated but it I don't spray a whole lot. Here is my latest piece that has been sprayed. It's 16" in diameter and would not fit in my spray booth. I put a picnic table drop cloth on my table saw and set everything up on that and worked.

Attachments

• flower platter mirror - Copy (2).jpg
    flower platter mirror - Copy (2).jpg
    948.6 KB · Views: 16
We'd like to try air brushing on to wood. We have an air brush and a suitable compressor but I'm curious what else would be required for a simple basic air brush set up.

We're picturing a small cart with the compressor on the lower shelf and air brush supplies on top that could be rolled where it's needed since two of us will be using it.

Thanks, looking forward to your suggestions.
Here is a photo of the setup that I use. The air inlet is in the top left. The first device is an air switch that simply turns the thing on or off. I use the same setup for a dental drill for piercing, so I need the switch. To the right of the switch is a pressure regulator. Below that, an air / water separator and filter combination, and then a pressure guage. I use quick connects on the inlet and outlet to allow use of several air brushes and my dental drill.20210816_103659.jpg

Thank you, this has really shown the wide range of options available for set ups. Quite a difference between John's and Keiths, yet both produce beautiful work.

Back