• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Air Cleaner and Trend Face Shield

I am looking at getting a air cleaner for the shop as I am getting tired of the dust everywhere and in my clock shop. Dust collector does pretty good but not quite good enough for the fine dust. I have seen the one from PSI and like the features. Body shop here uses 3 of them. My question is if I get this air cleaner, hang it in the shope and use it along with the DC would I need the Trend face shield or would a dust mask with the dust filters be ok? It is getting the fallish time of year and winter won't be far behind which means the doors won't be open and box fans blowing the dust out. Any help would be appreciated.

dust mask

I have a delta triangle air filter , I have a small shop, I still use a dust mask but not a resporator. The reason behind this use is you are still over the wood when you sand and it takes time for the air cleaner to suck it up, for me about 4 min mins circulates the shop one time every 2 min. Hopes this helps.

Air cleaner/filter unit location

Might consider how to position the air cleaner/filter unit close behind the lathe, either on a stand or suspended from above. If it creates a large enough air flow rate, should work fairly well for sanding.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Check Wood Magazine - October 2006

Bernie:

Get the most recent (October 2006) Wood Magazine, probably on the newstands right now - They did a review of a range of shop air filters, and compared their effectiveness using measured weights of settled dust in their shop after cutting the same amount of of MDF for each tested unit. It seems the best filter unit rating was given to the JDS 750-ER. Interestingly, a box fan with a furnace filter duct taped to it's input side proved to be a fairly effective shop filter, actually better than many of the commercial units - although the furnace filter would be a continual PITA to replace every time it was loaded, the cost was WAY less than a commercial filter. I've had a JDS filter for at least 5 years and it does a very good job (...it's always satisfying when you read a tool review and the winner of the test is already in your shop!), although it's always used together with my Oneida dust collector system while I am sawing, using the planer or joiner, and sanding. You should have a read of this article to see what the criteria were for making their comparisons, and good and bad features of each of the models they tested, just to be more informed about what to look for in shop dust filtration units.

Go to this link to see what the article is about:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/wo...html?tool=woodmall/toolreview/172airscrubbers

Note that you can see some of the tool review table and get a flavor for the article and what it contains from the Wood Magazine web site above. You can decide wether to find the magazine on a newstand, or download the article for $ 4.50 - I'd go "hard-copy", since there are a few other interesting articles in the issue as well.

Although I have pretty good dust extraction and air filtration in my shop, I STILL use a Trend Face Shield air filter when I sand woods that are known to be toxic, and for most other times when I am sensing too much fine dust. I don't always use it, but probably should.

Respiratory uptake of dust should be the primary health concern of woodturners over the long haul - even more of a concern than physical injury after one has gotten past the major learning curve of how to turn safely. If you protect your eyes, you should also protect your lungs! Furthermore, if you power sand on the lathe, definitely look into a face shield filter!! Even with good air filtration and dust extraction, additional lung protection would not be a bad idea, regardless of what wood is sanded. I consider it essential if one is planning on having a long-term marriage with woodturning, especially if you have a love for gorgeous exotics of known toxicity. One of my coaches who taught our health class in high school told us that "you can get in lots of trouble through love, so always protect yourself!" The same should apply to woodturning!

I hope this information helps you to make a more informed decision.

Turn safely,

Rob Wallace

Last edited:
After my wifes problems with her lungs from chemical exposures while working in operating rooms at a hospital, we got real serious about protecting me in the wood shop. In addition to the shop vac and dust collector with custom made 1 micron bag from American Filter Fabric I use both a Delta Air Cleaner and a 3M Half Face Respirator model 7000 series. The System does such a good shop I have actually gotten asked how I keep the shop so clean from visitors. But like others have said, you have to wait on the air cleaner to clear the fines so when sanding I use the respirator.

Note that the Trend unit is a British made item and does NOT meet any US standards. We just had a discussion on this on Woodnet and it was reported that the British Standard that it meets is only a 20 micron protection. This will not protect you lungs from the dangerous fines if true!! I have to read enough of the US government standard write ups that I have no interest in reading British and will accept what was reported as I won't use any respirator that does not meet OSHA or NIOSH standards. One person reported they returned the unit as the instructions actually stated it would not meet USA or Canadian standards.

I wonder if that applies to the Triton respirator also? It's not an American product either is it? Isn't it Australian?

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
underdog said:
I wonder if that applies to the Triton respirator also? It's not an American product either is it? Isn't it Australian?

I was the one that dug out the specs on the Trend, after a couple of people claimed there weren't any (there clearly are)

So, now I will do a bit on the Triton. According to their published specs it passes "NIOSH N95", it filters to 1 micron and the airflow is 5.3 cfm (IMO the 5.3 is low about half the Trend or 3M)

Interestingly, I could find no US spec for impact (ie face shield), it does pass the Australian spec AS/NZS 1337 (I would have to pay $$$ to learn what that spec means)

IMO, the Triton is overkill (for turners), due to the hearing protection. Also there are owner complaints about the lack of air-flow (at least on hotter days)

You might consider the 3M HEPA Airstream (42 CFR 84), but it is spendy ($630)

TTFN
Ralph

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the answers. I guess the one thing I could say even if the Trend doesn't meet US standards is it has to be 100 times better than the paper filters I wear now. Definately will be a air cleaner in the shop by months end. Tired of dust everywhere.

I got a deal on a barely used Triton, and so that's what I use.

The airflow did seem a little anemic, and your answer confirms it. I guess that the filtration is good though even with small airflow. All we really need is protection from the dust, and my guess is that it's good enough to provide positive pressure. I do wish it would provide a little more cooling. I wonder if I could beef up the fan?

The face shield seems pretty substantial. It looks as if it could withstand a pretty good hit.

I'm not sure I like the hearing protection as turning really isn't that loud, and I don't use a dust collector either since the collection would be really minimal with my small DC. So the earmuffs are kinda overkill and just make the Triton that much more hot...

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Bernie Weishapl said:
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the answers. I guess the one thing I could say even if the Trend doesn't meet US standards is it has to be 100 times better than the paper filters I wear now. Definately will be a air cleaner in the shop by months end. Tired of dust everywhere.

Bernie, I also use the Trend, when ever I am turning, or sanding. But, when I am sanding I also have the Delta DC setup and the Delta whole-shop air-filter.

TTFN
Ralph

I use the Aircap from Woodcrafters, cost is about $180. It's like a baseball cap with the filters and a motor mounted on the peak. Under the peak is a clear screen offering some eye and face protection. the clean air is pumped down the inside of the screen. I've used it for about 3 years now, wear it most of the time i'm in the shop. I have a DC and a Air filter but some airborne dust is unavoidable.
I found that the Trend was front heavy, I wore in the Store for twenty minites and could feel the weight after that sort time. Plus its about $300.

Thanks for the help and info. I think this week I will order the PSI air cleaner and the Trend Face Shield.

Good info from Prof. Rob, as my WM subscription has apparently expired. Think I'll "poor folk" it as usual, tape a filter to box fan and hang it behind the lathe. No big deal to change filters, or hold my breath and clean out the filter with compressed air in other end of the barn.

Last edited:
Back