• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Alan Morris

Hi,

I'm Alan and live in Basingstoke (UK). To earn money I am a software developer (have been for 40 years) but love to make things. I've always been able to reduce perfectly good wood into shavings and sawdust and sometimes even something reasonable is left behind. I started being more serious about woodwork and turning after my children left home - so I built myself a pole lathe and have had loads of fun with that little baby. My wife bought me a wood turning lathe (hobby size) for my birthday about 18 months ago and I have been reading, learning and reducing more wood to shavings ever since. I have so many ideas, plans and schemes but so little skill - I intend to pick your collective brains and get better.

-- Alan

A couple of pictures of the pole lathe. I have a pole but don't use it, instead I have strung up a length of bungee rope along the length of my workshop (which is what I call my garage) and clip the rope that does the turning onto the bungee. All of the wood used to make the lathe is planned spruce (used by builders) and is available in most builder's yard a a reasonable price.
composite.jpg

Back