• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Albert Heemskerk

I'm very new to woodturning and like most converts, I have done woodworking for some time. What I am enjoying about this art form is the lack of rigidity in measurements, (I know that will come later...)
Currently have a Nova DVR lathe and a Rockwell Beaver 3400, (it's looking for a home right now. As well I am blessed with a decent shop to work in. Lacking knowledge, but that is coming along with every mistake I make.
I live in the beautiful Niagara Peninsula in Ontario Canada.
Hope to be a help and to get help through this forum.
nova lathe.jpg

rsz_1rsz_120230128_214932.jpg

Welcome! I've been using a Nova 1624 (old, non-dvr) for years and it still works great. I hear you about measurements. It's also nice to be able to create something, with no plan ahead of time, and be done in a couple hours. Turning works for me as a hobby that I can fit into my schedule.

Howdy and welcome from Texas! Lot's of helpful folks here to answer any questions that come up.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi Albert, welcome from Chattanooga, Tennessee! Looks like a pretty nice shop setup. Can’t wait to see your work in the gallery. Cheers!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome aboard the AAW forum, Albert. Freedom from measuring was also one of the early attractions for me, but you are right to suspect measurements lurking around the corner. If you like math then calculating angles in three-dimensional space in order to turn a multi-axis model of a minimal surface object would be a good challenge.

Back