• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Alex Bradley (Phil F. Brown's daughter)

Hello Everyone,

It has taken me a bit but thought I would finally do my introduction. Some of you may have known my dad, Phil F. Brown from Maryland. When he passed away in 2018 he left me with so many unfinished bowls that it pretty much determined the rest of my life trajectory. So here I am.

I live in Louisville, CO (right down the street from Merryll Saylan - lucky me!) with my husband and 2 kids. In my past life I studied as an Environmental Engineer but did my master's research in Antarctica and fell in love with the ice. I ditched all those years of school and ended up working for the Antarctic program for 6 years. I was mostly the "mom" for the South Pole Station when the new station was being constructed.

Besides turning I spend my free time wrangling my family, camping, backpacking, paddle boarding, and trying to lend a hand whenever I am able. I am hoping to get good enough with my turning that I actually make enough to support the habit. I have started posting on Instagram @fineturnedwood and hope to have a website up sometime soon at www.fineturnedwood.com (my dad's old domain). Most of my turning is focused on finishing my dad's pieces but I also enjoy turning boxes, hollow forms and functional items. I hope to turn some of my dad's large pieces (that he would have turned for museums or private collections) into pendant lights if I can just figure out how.

Photos of my tiny shop (7' x 14' on the outside) and a small fraction of the bowls that my dad left for me to turn.

Looking forward to meeting some of you at future symposiums and classes.

Cheers,
Alex Bradley

Attachments

• IMG_1161.JPG
    IMG_1161.JPG
    391.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1163.JPG
    IMG_1163.JPG
    397.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Bowls.jpg
    Bowls.jpg
    712.4 KB · Views: 73

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Hello Everyone,

It has taken me a bit but thought I would finally do my introduction. Some of you may have known my dad, Phil F. Brown from Maryland. When he passed away in 2018 he left me with so many unfinished bowls that it pretty much determined the rest of my life trajectory. So here I am.

I live in Louisville, CO (right down the street from Merryll Saylan - lucky me!) with my husband and 2 kids. In my past life I studied as an Environmental Engineer but did my master's research in Antarctica and fell in love with the ice. I ditched all those years of school and ended up working for the Antarctic program for 6 years. I was mostly the "mom" for the South Pole Station when the new station was being constructed.

Besides turning I spend my free time wrangling my family, camping, backpacking, paddle boarding, and trying to lend a hand whenever I am able. I am hoping to get good enough with my turning that I actually make enough to support the habit. I have started posting on Instagram @fineturnedwood and hope to have a website up sometime soon at www.fineturnedwood.com (my dad's old domain). Most of my turning is focused on finishing my dad's pieces but I also enjoy turning boxes, hollow forms and functional items. I hope to turn some of my dad's large pieces (that he would have turned for museums or private collections) into pendant lights if I can just figure out how.

Photos of my tiny shop (7' x 14' on the outside) and a small fraction of the bowls that my dad left for me to turn.

Cheers,
Alex Bradley
Me again, I tried the link you posted for your website and it doesn't work.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you should be plenty busy (and you may end up leaving some of those rough turned bowls to your own son/daughter to finish too.. LOL!)

@Emiliano Achaval - I do believe she pre-qualified the link with "Hope to have it up sometime soon" , so I'd not expect the link to work either...? :)

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you should be plenty busy (and you may end up leaving some of those rough turned bowls to your own son/daughter to finish too.. LOL!)

@Emiliano Achaval - I do believe she pre-qualified the link with "Hope to have it up sometime soon" , so I'd not expect the link to work either...? :)
And maybe my grandkids too! That photo isn't even half of his stash...plus all the wood he saved. We gave away all of his wood that he stored outside (about 2 semi trucks worth) to the local turners. I still have A LOT that he stored inside. I think that my dad was a hoarder of pretty wood and loved rough turning more than the final finish. Lucky me!

Hello Everyone,

Cheers,
Alex Bradley

My gosh what a lovely inheritance your dad left you. If it was me, I would think of all the times spent together each time I turned one. May your dad be lookin down on you.

Peace

Pat

Back