• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Allan Lamonte

Hello everyone! Hope the holiday season was good to you all!

I live in southern CA and have been woodworking for about 30 years. I retired a few months ago and for the last two years of my job, I was in the process of doing my first kitchen remodel (mine) including building the cabinets. It took another month of retired time to finish it up but my wife is ecstatic! Life is good. Then a month or so ago, I finally started using my midi lathe to make pens! I am having a blast and am looking forward to trying to turn other things.

I used to own a Jeep related forum so I totally understand how helpful these communities are! I look forward to learning from and getting to know some of you...

Take care,
Allan

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, Allan. We are are also, remodeling our kitchen, but hired a contractor to do it. I don't mind having some omeone else do the walls and ceiling, but I just cringe at the way they are finishing the cabinets. As you undoubtedly have discovered, woodturning is quite addictive. You will find lots of helpful folks here to answer questions.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome to the forum. AAW offers many learning opportunities for woodturning.
Publications, videos, local chapters, symposiums.
Check out the guest membership
https://www.woodturner.org/page/GuestMemberLanding

You tube Videos screened by AAW volunteers for safe and effective practices.
http://aawvideosource.org/

Local chapter provide the face to face learning. Many have classes and mentors.
The forum is great for answering questions the chapters are great and showing and correcting technique.
Most chapters welcome guests
https://www.woodturner.org/page/Chapters

Welcome to the forum. Great people with tons of help. Check the AAW website and I'm sure that you will find a chapter close to you.
A friend told me the following- JEEP means Just Empty Every Pocket. His son is into off-road stuff and constantly tweaking his Wrangler.

Thanks everyone...I obviously don't get a chance to login very often since I am so busy in the garage! Now THAT is a high class problem!:D

Here is a pic of my new lathe and the cabinet I built for it...I also added some spacers to raise it up a tad...

IMG_2163.JPG

Welcome and complements on the cabinet. Very innovative and handy for keeping everything close to the lathe. All you need is a place for the coffee maker.

Back