• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Allen Mattsen

My name is Allen. In April of 2020 my wife and I purchased our first home in Vancouver, WA. I've been in this area since 2004, working in the Information Systems field (my previous career was as a Chef). I've been retired due to a back injury for a number of years. I've always lived and worked in the Pacific Northwest.

I began woodworking shortly after moving in: fixing, remodeling, etc. and building up my 2-car garage shop and tools. I started woodturning on my first lathe, a Laguna 1216, in January 2021.

A few weeks ago I upgraded to a Laguna 2436. I love it! I enjoy turning bowls and working with locally sourced green wood, mostly. I'm already looking forward to advancing my skills and doing more hollowing, coloring, carving, resin, and other challenges. My 9yr old daughter and I (rough) turned her first bowl a couple days ago.

I've been a member of our Southwest Washington club for a few months, AAW member, and look forward to the virtual symposium coming up.

People have been very helpful which is great because I have a lot to learn. The first attached pic is from yesterday, rough turning some box elder. IMG_20210615_172617_969.jpg

Attachments

• 1623876775715276974359.jpg
    1623876775715276974359.jpg
    548.3 KB · Views: 12
Back