• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to John Shannon for "Walnut Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 27, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Amboyna/Narra Burl or Kheng?

Anyone ever turned this stuff before? It's BEAUTIFUL and has a nice aroma. I wondered where (If any of you) have any positive experiences with a certain mail order co as this stuff isn't a local wood?? I have heard bad things about Cook Woods so thought I'd ask here before I toss out some cash for the wood. Oh, I plan on making plugs with them (Body Jewelry).

I've turned a couple of pens out of it and it smells nice, looks great, finishes nicely, but the two pieces I have turned have been really hard, about like Red Mallee.

Cookwoods is fairly expensive on all accounts for amboyna and other rare exotics, however every time I have been in their store (I live in the same area) - they have always treated me well and when I look to pick up items such as maple, cocobolo, myrtle, or other non-premium exotics - I usually get a good deal. I know that they supply at least two Woodcraft stores and they have a lot of inventory, but don't keep the domestics very well. I've seen piles and piles of domestics sitting out in the weather - and if it were me, I'd be trying to protect my investments...

Just my two-bits...

The dealings I've had with cook woods have been great (all thru ebay) Price can be high sometimes but I dont buy it then.

The've always been very helpful

Im curious as to what you have heard about them? Very high positive feedback on their ebay store

I really like Amboyna burl. I got a piece of Ebay last year for around $10.00 a lb. I was shocked to win it. This is a sample of what it looked like. This is a turkey call with the first coat of finish sprayed on it.
Jack

Attachments

• 100_0635.JPG
    100_0635.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 160
Nice work

Thats a nice turkey call. I'm sure some of you will either be shocked, or just laugh, but organic plugs are picking up interest in the tattoo/piercing community and I myself cant wait to make a couple of pairs of 5/8 to 3/4" Ebony plugs with Amboyna Burl inlays. BTW, thanks for the links, Im checking into them. The cook woods thing was a friend got a large order and ha about 1/2 of it warped and/or checked. Instead of replacing it, they gave him a 10% off next order. That kinda says to me 'Keep the crap, but take 10% next time'. Just my opinion I guess

Back