• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

American Chestnut

A friend came up with a milling job of American Chestnut. I'm told it's the new disease resistant variety. Unfortunately it was in the way of progress so the whole lot was taken down to make room for a big home. He gave me some and I was surprised to find it open grained similar to ash. I'm wondering if anyone else has worked with it and is my assesment in line with your experience? Sanding was interesting as the soft rings really sanded much more quickly than the harder ones. That's what reminded me of ash.

I turned a small piece of it many years ago. Light, strong, tan in colour and yes, similar to ash in grain. Hopefully future generations will come to know the blight-resistant wood that may grow in forests of tomorrow.

I turned some last year and still have the badly spaulted log in the back yard. It is known as Chestnut Oak in this area and is not a rarity. I found the leaf very interesting with many points in the edges. As stated it turns well but you do need to lube the lathe ways during and after finishing.

Chestnut oak (Quercus montana) is in the white oak family and is distinct from American chestnut (Castanea dentata). By the way, the story of the development of a blight resistant chestnut is fascinating. The original hybridization attempts (crossing the American and Chinese chestnuts) were abandoned in the 1960's but a new strategy was proposed in the 1980's. The American Chestnut Foundation (ATCF) was formed then to put the new breeding program in place. By the early 2000's trees that are 94% American chestnut were developed and can now be purchased. Currently a new strategy is being pursued: genetic engineering. Genetic engineering has produced a tree that is over 99% American chestnut and achieved blight resistance by introducing a gene from wheat. The USDA has not yet approved the release of the genetically modified trees. I got all this by joining the ATCF and reading their newsletters.

It’s not uncommon to find chestnut sprouts growing from ancient stumps. Unfortunately they only last a few years before dying back.
My alma mater, SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry has an American Chestnut Project which is working to reintroduce a blight-resistant strain to the wild. As Michael said, a fascinating project.

? What does he have ? how about posting a photo of the wood grain. Does American chestnut have a high tannin content like the oaks, or the medullary rays.

Only turned one piece of American Chestnut. Don't really remember it other than fairly plain in color. I do have 2 starts for American Chestnut trees that I need to get into the ground, once irrigation is in. Found one tree a bit north of here, and none of the animals seemed to know about the nuts as they just laid on the ground and rotted. I picked some up and they were very good, once you got past the stickers that is...

robo hippy

Back