• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Andrew Hale

Website
www.Hale-Construction.com
YES!!! It really did take more than a month for me to find a few minutes to post this introduction. Apologies, life is weird.

I was born into a woodworking family, and followed my Dad into the cabinetmaking profession, so I have been eating sawdust since I was very young. Early in my career I learned to grind knives for shapers and moulders, giving me a bit of an education in metal working as well. Most of my work on the lathe over the years has been focused on one-off parts and pieces to match some ancient finial or newel or spindle or whatever. Now it’s fun time!

I turn on a Jet 1642EVS that I bought new from a salvage auction. The only damage was to the safety cage, which I would have pitched anyhow. $750 for a decent lathe seemed like a smoking deal to me.

My good wife and I live on a hobby farm with lots of maple, walnut, oak, cherry, and locust trees. Turning stock is never an issue! I enjoy cutting out burls, twists, exceptionally knotty sections of trunk, and anything else that might yield a surprise. Sometimes it goes back on the firewood pile, sometimes it doesn’t. You never know until you open it up. My single biggest challenge is keeping our rescue dogs (3 of them) out of my shaving pile. I don’t try very hard, I like the company……….

Happy Friday!!

Back