• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Andrew Lindsay

Website
timeoutside.net
Hi Folks,

I am recently retired. I had the opportunity to do a little turning decades ago and loved it, so I'm hoping I might find turning (along with some general woodworking) a good retirement hobby. Of course, I'm going about it bass-ackwards. I purchased a used lathe and some accessories before I discovered the AAW and that there is a local chapter about an hour drive away. Oh well. I got a great price on the equipment and should be able to sell it at least for the amount I paid, should it turn out not to be appropriate for what I end up doing. The lathe is the Harbor Freight 34706, 12 in. x 33-3/8 in., 3/4 HP , 10 speeds, with pivoting headstock. I do not see myself ever being into big or long projects and/or gallery style artsy stuff. I have neither the artistic talent nor the patience. I would rather make a large number of relatively quick smaller items I can give as gifts or sell at a craft show. So, I imagine that I will be more inclined to turn pens, boxes, ornaments, smaller bowls, acrylic night lights, table decorations (like mushrooms and such), and all that sort of thing. But who knows, I may end up turning some large items at some point. I've made contact with the Woodturners of Southwest Missouri and am in the process of signing up with the chapter and (hopefully) getting a mentor. If possible, I'd like to work with a mentor before I even turn on my lathe. But I'm anxious to get going. So, in the meantime I'm reading and watching YouTube tutorials.

PS. I still can't find my Member ID anywhere.

Last edited:
Back