• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Another chuck Question

Preface - I have a Rockwell 46-450 12" lathe and a G3 Chuck with standard 50mm jaws. Recently, I've started down the path of making (or wanting to make) objects that require different work holding than my chuck can do. My plans will likely have me moving up to a 16-20" lathe, so I'd want to go up in size on the chuck slightly and get one with an insert allowing flexibility in thread size.

The chuck I have also came as a kit including cole jaws, which are useful. That said, I've read everything I can find on getting additional chucks - and have no reason not to get another nova, probably the SuperNova. But that said, every vendor I've seen only offers it with the same 50mm jaws standard. Seems to be wasteful to have the second set of same size jaws, rather than something of a different size, be it pin, or larger. Am I missing a source, or is it just not possible to avoid buying another 50mm jaw set with Nova?

I have wondered why you can't specify which jaws you want when you buy a chuck. I have several of the Vicmark chucks, and they all come with 'standard' sets. Only really need so many of the one size...

robo hippy

Yeah the body only chucks are usually about the same price as with jaws included. Why no selectable jaw set? Think about the supply chain and inventory. Retailers sell single items or boxes of stuff, not custom designs.

Before buying a new chuck decide on the jaw type you like best - dovetail, serrated, Oneway profiled, and do you use tenons or mortices mostly, then look at the jaws available for that chuck. For tenons Serrated or profiled are better as the jaws are opened up, I dont use mortices much so it doesnt matter for me. My preference is Oneway profiled.

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Like @Doug Freeman get a ONEWAY stronghold. You will then have the ONEWAY jaws which are the best for holding square spindle stock.
you can add dovetail jaws and pin jaws. also larger jaws too.

I prefer dove tail jaws for bowls and like the vicmarc for this because the hex key is easier to use.

if I could only have one Chuck it would be the strong hold - if I only did bowls it would be the Vic.
but we have two strongholds and one vicmarc 120.

Nova sells the SuperNova 2 bundle with 50mm, 100mm, and 130mm jaws, and some other accessories for about $260 total which seems like a fairly decent price. However, right now, I don't see anywhere online that is not Out of Stock, including Teknatool (Nova). I have Nova chucks/jaws and they seem to be high quality. The reference is

NOVA DIRECT THREAD 1 1/4″ SUPERNOVA2 CHUCK BUNDLE (SKU 23099)​

I recently bought a Vicmarc VM120 after reading many, many forum threads on chucks and have to say that, although expensive, it's a top flight piece of gear. I expect to use this for many, many years of bowl turning and other pieces. Though I will likely buy additional chucks (VM100 / VM150?) down the line: this is my mainstay. The build quality is absolutely worlds apart from the Nova G3 (my first chuck).

Perhaps my favorite feature is the chuck key. It's easy to insert and turn even without gripping the T-handle and tightens very well with little pressure. I hated the Nova key and it's a reason I would probably look at Axeminster as a secondary option. The SK114 package is very attractive in price and value for what you get.

That said, I'm happy I forked over the bit of extra money for the Vicmarc. Worth every penny.

The only problem I have had with the Vickmark chucks is the plastic handle on the chuck key. I broke several of them. Went to the hardware store and bought a loop T handle. After some years, there is a very slight torque to the top part of the T. I do snug things, but don't really armstrong it.... If I had a welder and knew how to use it, I would have welded a solid bar across the top.

robo hippy

@Kirk Amidon
, I have seen Super Nova insert chucks sold separately, but they are much more commonly available with the 50mm jaws & screw. There is nothing wrong with having an extra set of 50's, because if you have two chucks you could have two projects going, or for reversing the mount (chuck to chuck transfer), which I do all the time.

Over time I have collected (a la carte) other Nova jaws. My favorite is the 70 mm, wish I had two of those.

Home Depot (on line) and Tools Plus are where I've seen the best prices.

One caveat. If you get a SN2 you'll want it to tighten the same direction your G3 does.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I have wondered why you can't specify which jaws you want when you buy a chuck. I have several of the Vicmark chucks, and they all come with 'standard' sets. Only really need so many of the one size...

robo hippy
You can buy any Vicmarc without the jaws. Then you buy any jaw size that you want. You can buy direct from Australia or call Woodworkers Emporium in Las Vegas.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
The only problem I have had with the Vickmark chucks is the plastic handle on the chuck key. I broke several of them. Went to the hardware store and bought a loop T handle. After some years, there is a very slight torque to the top part of the T. I do snug things, but don't really armstrong it.... If I had a welder and knew how to use it, I would have welded a solid bar across the top.

robo hippy
Darn, how in the world can you break that. I have 5 Vicmarc chucks, had more but I donated some older ones to the turning school in Argentina. In 25 years never broke one. I also have several home made keys to be able to open up the jaws into a recess on the inside when I remount a bowl. These are steel, with an angle.

Thanks for all the feedback. Will look around for the SN package as that would seem to meet all my criteria. Guess my interweb sleuthing ability is up to par, and I had not missed much.

Me smash, me break handle!
I got a good deal on two Titan 3 chucks. Very strong and worth every penny. The body on a SN2 is better for general purpose though.

John, are you quoting Ogre Ogre by Piers Anthony??? Me Smash, Me bash! Loved his books....

Not sure how I broke those handles. I did have a magic touch as a kid, "Honest mom, all I did was just touch it!" I have the Bondhus handles for mine now. When I replaced the original one, they had a nice metric loop handle, but now you have to buy sets. I went to a local supply store and ordered the Bondhus handles, which come in 2 packs. Red shiny plastic dipped handle. I had to cut about 3 inches off of the end so they would fit in the pocket of my turner's smock.

robo hippy

Thanks for all the feedback. Will look around for the SN package as that would seem to meet all my criteria. Guess my interweb sleuthing ability is up to par, and I had not missed much.
You might want to look at this site . Best prices I have found on Nova Tools Plus

An answer to my own question, a vendor says the only difference is that the “lite” does not come with the woodworm screw. Sounds dubious to me, but who knows?
Best, Spike

Just make sure you price compare with Tools Plus and Home Depot.

I've been surprised with what HD sells and their pricing. I can ship to the store for free and stuff is not sitting on my porch. And theoretically I can make a return to the store. But I live in an urban area with multiple HD's to choose from.

I sold all my Nova and Record chucks. I looked at the Vicmarc chucks, but decided on Axminister. I have never owned Vicmarc or OneWay so no comparison. I really like the Axminister chucks. I have two SK100 (3 1/2”) and one SK114 (4”) chucks. The jaws are interchanagble between them. Features are the have stainless steel bodies and the have three tightening places instead of two. I guess a little better, Jaws are changed by cranking out one set and cranking in. another set, no screws to mess with. However you need tp buy jaw slides that add to the price, but the convince is worth iy to me. I believe Axminister has the largest jaw selection of other manufactures. One of my jaw sets is the O’Donnell jaws that are not offered by any other manufacture. I can clamp 1/2” square through 2 1/4” square firmly and better than using any standard jaws, just a whole lot more clamping area. They are direct thread and not sure an adapter is available.

When I upgraded my lathe, I decided to merely expand my Nova chuck and jaw sets. All Nova's jaw sets are compatible with their chucks. Plus, during my limited 3+ years of turning I have never had a problem with the chucks or jaws. I believe that Nova now sells quick change chucks/jaws, along with hardware to change existing jaws to fit the new quick change hardware. The only reason I didn't do that was that it seemed pricey to go through conversion process for existing jaws and I already had 2 G3 chucks which I use for smaller turnings.

I just recently purchased a Supernova from Amazon for 169.99, delivered. It is called the “lite” version, but is identical to the one I have had for umpteen years. The only difference is a lack of a woodworm screw, and I already have an extra of that. It has the 50mm jaws and all of the hardware. I held off on it as I was worried about the “lite” designation, but there is nothing lite about the chuck. I could not find a bare chuck body for that, and it included the insert that has a set screw so I can turn in reverse!
Best, Spike

Here is an update on the cheap chuck from Amazon. First off, in the package was a note from the actual source of the product, a Canadian company, they would ship it to me for $10 less than I paid the Evil Empire. That is $159.99 for those who were not paying attention!
Second, it is indeed made in China. A change from the old Supernova 2 is that it is righty tighty, so now I have to think when I go from one chuck to the other. The sockets that the Allen wrench fit into are not as nicely finished as the old one.
Third, runout- I used a vintage Starrett dial indicator that I inherited from my one time machinist father that reads in one 10000 inch, the old chuck was as dead on as my jury rigged mounting setup allowed, and the new chuck just barely made the needle wiggle, so less than a 10,000 inch.
Fourth, the insert is bulkier than the old one so the chuck sits a little farther from the head stock.
I have not mounted the 50mm jaws it comes with yet, instead I mounted a set of 70mm jaws and they seem to run true and slide in and out properly.
i would be happy to answer any questions that I am able.
Best, Spike

Back