• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Another Tool Identification Question

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Anyone know what these could be for? Friend used to work for the railroad and found them in an old tool box and gave them to me. Each ground with a different curve cutting edge. They have a stamp in metal of "REGIS / Grafton, O, USA". / L-T". One has "HI-SPD" stamped on it. No idea what they are. Just curious since they likely had some very specific purpose and were kept as a set. My guess is they are for working with leather but without handles they would be hard to use for very long on tough work.

Attachments

• IMG_5034.JPG
    IMG_5034.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 69

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Jim, that well could be it! I did a number of searches but didn't find this one. Looks like a patent for a handle with swapable blades from 1952. The blades look like the ones I have. Wish I had a handle and no idea what all the different curve edges or for. Thanks!

I found the obituary of the inventor listed on the patent. Passed away in 2003 at the age of 88. Seems Regis made mill knives for the rubber industry so guess they're unique for cutting rubber.

He was born Monday, March 1, 1915 in Medina, and lived in the Grafton area over 55 years. Mr. Papp served in the U.S. Army from 1944 to 1946 as Surgical Technician in the Europeon Theater. He owned and operated Regis Industrial Supply for over 40 yrs., making mill knives for the Rubber Industry, and various other cutting tools & supplies.

Last edited:
Back