• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Antique Treadle Lathe - Info Request

Our Club has been tasked with restoring this old lathe to working condition. It will be used and displayed in the Pioneer Village in a county park. We do a couple of turning demos at events there every year.
Our goal is to make it useable without destroying the patina developed over decades.

The square head bolts and nuts appear to be hand forged and some are missing. Many of the square heads are a different dimension in the x-axis vs the y-axis as if the size was eyeball measured to be close.
There are a couple of 4" dado's cut in the vertical outside surface of the bed beams. We have no idea what was mounted there.
There are two pulley sizes on the spindle shaft and the lower flywheel to yield a high and low speed. However, the required belt length is 6" shorter for one vs the other. There is no provision for tensioning the belt. (Perhaps that is what mounted in the above mentioned dado's?)
The only markings we can find is a 3 digit number boldly cast in the big wing-nut locking the tailstock to the bed.

We are hoping to learn:
  • Manufacturer name and info
  • Approximate Date produced
  • Belt tensioning or speed change info
  • Anything else about this lathe specifically or treadle lathes in general
All help will be appreciated.

20231214_115846.jpgWWW20231214_120029.jpgWWW20231214_120121.jpg

Looks like a fun project, but I have no clue to this lathe. Not sure if you can get in touch with Roy Underhill or not any more. The Williamsburg village that does every thing with time period tools may be of some help. I know there are many 'antique' tool sites that specialize about this type of stuff.

robo hippy

Someone in your club know how to pour babbit bearings? My first impression was likely privately made, but since castings are involved there had to be a manufacturer. Almost always castings had identification on them. If none, it still could have been made by a pattern maker who had casting connections.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I haven’t disappeared after starting this topic. But I have moved to my winter home in Yuma, AZ so I’m not actively involved in the restoration. I am passing on any info I receive to those who are. I’ll return to IL in April.

Website
www.turnrobust.com
The wooden pulley on the spindle may have been a later shop built addition, as it does have a cast smaller pulley. That may be why your belt length doesn't work out. I do see holes in the belt, and perhaps those were used to adjust the length? I'd just set it up for one speed and leave it alone. You'll mostly be turning smaller stuff to demo with is my guess, which would bias you towards the high speed range. As to the maker, that may be hard to pin down. There were a lot of manufacturers in the "old days". Others have mentioned some of the vintage machinery sites, and I also encourage you to post your pictures there. My WAG on the date is mid 1800's. It's a nice piece, and I am glad to learn you're interested in maintaining the patina. Antique woodworking equipment does not have a lot of value, unfortunately, but antiques in general are worth more, and are more interesting, with their original surfaces intact. Please be sure to oil the spindle each time you use it. Just some regular 30 or 40 weight oil is probably fine. You can still source square head bolts and nuts from McMaster-Carr. If they're plated, have somebody burn off the plating with a propane torch (outside of course, with the wind behind you). Get some cold bluing from a gunsmith supply house to blacken them afterwards. They'll match the old look close enough. Good luck with your project!

Our Club has been tasked with restoring this old lathe to working condition. It will be used and displayed in the Pioneer Village in a county park. We do a couple of turning demos at events there every year.
Our goal is to make it useable without destroying the patina developed over decades.

The square head bolts and nuts appear to be hand forged and some are missing. Many of the square heads are a different dimension in the x-axis vs the y-axis as if the size was eyeball measured to be close.
There are a couple of 4" dado's cut in the vertical outside surface of the bed beams. We have no idea what was mounted there.
There are two pulley sizes on the spindle shaft and the lower flywheel to yield a high and low speed. However, the required belt length is 6" shorter for one vs the other. There is no provision for tensioning the belt. (Perhaps that is what mounted in the above mentioned dado's?)
The only markings we can find is a 3 digit number boldly cast in the big wing-nut locking the tailstock to the bed.

We are hoping to learn:
  • Manufacturer name and info
  • Approximate Date produced
  • Belt tensioning or speed change info
  • Anything else about this lathe specifically or treadle lathes in general
All help will be appreciated.

View attachment 58480WWWView attachment 58481WWWView attachment 58482
Hi Tom:
For the replacement fasteners you might try Blacksmith Bolt and Rivet Supply

They specialize in old fashioned fasteners of all types, including square head and carriage bolts.

Cheers.
Barry W. Larson
Calgary, Alberta, Canada eh!

I've passed all comments on to the guys back home doing the restoration.

Here's some pictures of the work in progress.

Turning a point on the headstock spindle.
Milling the spurs
20240118_165403.jpg20240119_150841.jpg

Headstock main bearing, Babbitt in decent condition.

Headstock back end bearing re-machined with added brass. This was originally steel on steel.

Tailstock internal parts.

Tailstock with internal parts removed.

20240118_105419.jpg20240118_145800.jpg20240202_122816.jpg20240202_123126.jpg

Back