• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Anybody own Delta 46-755 or 46-756 lathe?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I would like to get an evaluation from anyone who either owns or has used the Delta 46-755X or 46-756 lathes -- I believe that these models are essentially identical -- 2HP, VFD, 16" swing, 42" between centers, steel bed. What do you think about the performance -- does it have adequate low speed torque, does it have good speed regulation under heavy load, does the headstock or tailstock creep under load? Also, do the headstock and tailstock centerlines coincide? What do you think about other features such as the tiny speed control knob, the small membrane switches, does the fan on the VFD draw in a lot of dust, does the ODP motor have a dust problem? An opportunity to get one for about half price suddenly appeared, but I would like some firsthand feedback before jumping on this deal.

Bill

Website
www.SmoothTurning.com
46-715

Bill,

I can't speak for the models you've described. I had a 46-715 (14" swing w/ pivoting headstock). My issues with it were the centers lining up after I swung the headstock out. I don't think the headstock was up to the size blocks I put on it either.

Those newer models are of course more powerful & variable speed, but I'd seriously check the bearings, centers lining up, and That the headstock locks down solidly when turned outward or back to center. Delta makes some good tools, but I don't think they have their lathes dialed in yet.

Brodie

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I have the 46-715 lathe. The centers line up perfectly on mine and I do not have a problem with the headstock or tailstock creeping. What I really lust after is the Powermatic 3520, but for 1/3 the price it would be nice providing that is a decent lathe.

Bill

I've owned the 46-755X lathe for almost a year. I love the lathe but not the problems with the speed controller. Looks like Delta had a bad shipment of braking resistors that takes out the controller and in my case may have damaged the motor. Now they are short on parts and talking too long to get repairs. I finally got fed up and shot off a letter to Black and Decker headquarters (USPS had to use fire proof gloves to deliver! :D ) - last Monday I received free a whole new head including braking resistor, Delta Electronic controller that is a little different from original and new motor. All I had to do was uncrate, set off the old head and set this one on the bed. So far it is working better then the original did when new.

I have no problem lining up - even the replacement head lines up fine once I got the lock tension adjusted right. I really like the mobile base that consist of the 4 special wheels. The sliding head is wonderful when you are using hollowing tools.

Like I say - I love mine but did feel like the service on the controller could have been handled without getting me upset. I do realize that with new owner of Black and Decker that they are working through the company merger and looks like customer service needs some improvement.

Wilford

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thanks for the feedback, Wilford. If I get the lathe and wind up with controller or braking resistor problems, I may ask for a copy of your letter :D -- it seems to have packed some heat. If I remember correctly, this lathe has the Delta controller (not the same Delta, BTW).

Bill

I have the 46-755X lathe as well. I'm pretty happy with mine. I too got it at a great price. About $800 reconditioned in the box for the 2hp. Easy to put together. Everything lines up and I like the controls. Low speed torque seems good so far and it is very stout. For the price I couldn't go wrong. I have noticed a little tailstock creep but I intend to have a machinest friend make up a couple of plates for under the tailstock that are just a bit bigger to give a little more surface grab. Not a dealbreaker even if I couldn't get him to do this. I think if you can get a price like you are talking about you won't go wrong.

Controller

Bill,

The controllers that gave trouble were Black in color, the new one is Delta Electronics and off white with a big S1 on the front. The white one so far has been fine - as posted above they are blaming the braking resistor - large silver rectangle on the back of the controller mount - for putting too much power into the controller and burning them out. I did research on Delta Electronic web page and found the manual for the controllers - 184 pages! :eek: It showed how to read the manufacturing information and the black controllers were made in 2004, 30 or 39 week. The new white controller was made in 2006 the 11th week. Let me know if you need any info on the controllers - I have now wired and rewired the hook up several times!!! :D Like I said above - I do love the lathe and want to keep it. I was offered a full refund from Amazon and decided to fight it out with Delta I like the lathe so much!!

Wilford

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I looked at the lathe again yesterday and it did have the black controller. One of the guys in the store said that Delta had fixed the problems, but I don't think that this is one of those that have the new controller. Also, the main reason that I turned the deal down had to do with the motor. The insulation class was listed on the nameplate as B. For inverter duty, class H winding insulation should be used to handle the high voltage transients caused by the high speed switching. Additionally, the motor is rated for single speed operation only. I measured the pulley sizes and calculated that the motor would need to run faster than 8500 RPM at a spindle speed of 3000 RPM -- and at low speeds I don't think that the motor can dissipate the heat adequately. Hopefully, the models with the new controller also have a different motor.

Bill

Back