• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Anyone have a tormek collecting dust?

FYI I use a 10 year old Grizzly version with the tormek gouge jigs. I think the other imposters can use the jigs also. You might find an imposter before a tormek, and for a lot less$.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Tom,

I bought my Tormek in 2002, and it is still running like a champ. I've certainly replaced the grindstones, and made a few upgrades. But I fully expect this machine to be around after I no longer am.

The other thing to consider is that a number of the jigs have greatly improved over the years. The one used for gouges has been greatly improved over the original one.

I've seen some analysis on the value of used Tormeks vs. buying a new one. Unless you get a really good deal, buying new is better in the end. It is a lot of money up front, but my wood turning, wood carving, and so many other areas have greatly improved.

Rich

Back