• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Anyone know what happened to the AAW sharpening video on Vimeo?

Seems like an odd time to take it down after it had been up for the last five years or so. It was one of my primary resources to direct beginners to.

Last edited:

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I'm not sure if you know that the forum is run sort of independently from the main AAW site. You even need a different login for the forum. Nobody here would know why the main office decided to pull that video. Contact them directly. Call them on Monday. They are always happy to answer any questions you might have. Let them know how much you like that video! Email is also another good way to contact them. And let us know what happened to the video...

Thanks, Emiliano. I knew about the (relative) independence of the forum but I guess I was still hoping there'd be an official or two hanging around. Maybe I'll call them Monday. Or maybe it's time to shoot my own, been meaning to get back to putting up more YT content.

Just go on You Tube and type in sharpening wood lathe tools. More videos than you can shake a stick at....

robo hippy

Oh sure, no doubt about that. Though there were at least a couple sections that I found really useful in the AAW video that I haven't seen anywhere else: The John Jordan section on reshaping a new bowl gouge, including both freehand sharpening and using the Wolverine (and unlike all these "just leave the leg in one spot" ones that I've seen, he demonstrated a more nuanced understanding of how to move both the leg and the V-arm in tandem to hone in on the desired grind), and Bonnie's section about tool steel, useful for dispelling many an internet argument about heating HSS (and how it's not an issue).

The video you are looking for can be found on the AAW web site. I believe you have to be a member to access this particular feature.

From the home page, click on "resources", then hover over "Information (articles, videos,etc.", then click on "Video source" in the upper right area. From the search page that comes up, select "sharpening" in the Category menu, hit the ser4ch button, and voila'. (You'll need to scroll down a ways to find the right choice)

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Thanks, Emiliano. I knew about the (relative) independence of the forum but I guess I was still hoping there'd be an official or two hanging around. Maybe I'll call them Monday. Or maybe it's time to shoot my own, been meaning to get back to putting up more YT content.
I just checked and all the videos are still there. You have to be a member to access that page. I was surprised at how many other sharpening videos they have listed. I also would recommend Stuart Batty sharpening video. If you are not an AAW member, you have a good excuse to join! This is the page: https://www.woodturner.org/AAW/Article-Search.aspx

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I just checked and all the videos are still there. You have to be a member to access that page. I was surprised at how many other sharpening videos they have listed. I also would recommend Stuart Batty sharpening video. If you are not an AAW member, you have a good excuse to join! This is the page: https://www.woodturner.org/AAW/Article-Search.aspx

I just checked and the particular video with Bonnie Klein, Alan Lacer, et al. is a broken link.

I also have found the link to be broken but I did a little poking around in another post and found the URL to the AAW Sharpening video on Vimeo. So...Try this URL to watch the video (click or copy and paste):

AAW Sharpening Video

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I also have found the link to be broken but I did a little poking around in another post and found the URL to the AAW Sharpening video on Vimeo. So...Try this URL to watch the video (click or copy and paste):

It's interesting that Bonnie Klein said that you don't need to keep your nose to the grindstone. Wish I had known that fifty years ago. :D

Back